Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #1

total brake failure

Enjoying an early morning blast along quiet roads , after some heavy braking i thought the brake pedal felt strange. I assumed it was perhaps the ABS briefly cutting in. After next burst of overtaking , my brake pedal started sinking to the floor.
I decided to pull over and almost ran into a ditch as the pedal hit the bulkhead with very little braking left. A puddle of brake fluid was developing in front of a rear tire.
The Porsche dealership explained that my brake pipe had corroded [2003 model] as a result of mud being trapped between the undertray and the body. I have no idea how it got there. So much for my full Porsche dealer service history.
Perhaps this is a check that needs done yearly at the same time as extracting the leaves from the radiator/air con air intakes!

doctord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

Good Evening,
I am a new member.
I have an 01 S
Just had my masterbrake cylinder replaced by a top quality mechanic.
He doesnt like the fact that when pushing the pedal hard, it slowly travels down.
Is this normal?
Markus Vancouver 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #3
pjv

Garage
It is not normal for the brake pedal to do this. It suggests a leak in the brake system, most likely the master cylinder seals, so I think your mechanic did the right thing by replacing it.

pjv is offline   Reply With Quote