Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2006, 10:03 AM   #1

996 3.4 Motor Swap on Boxster

FYI,

Just spoke with Fabrych at GMG Racing in Santa Ana www.gmgracing.com and they are currently working on a 12 month feature article with European Car Magazine on a 996 motor swap into a Boxster.

I was about the cancel my European Car subscription becuase the editorial kept getting worse, now I'll be renewing fo sheezy!

KRZ

KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #2

They(those Super Charger guys forge their name) did a 3.8 in a 987 in the last issue of Excellence (CaymanS in the works as well) and Excellence weren't really blown away. Sounded like these tuners need to just quit BS'ing and go right to the 996 MK2 GT3 engine.
The Excellence guy complained about the upgraded brakes being too good for the power on hand. All bite no bark?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #3

that 3.8L conversion in 'excellence' was done by sportec. and although it did not excite the auto-journalist, i think seal grey on anthracite rims is the best color combination i've seen yet. may have to copy it

unfortunately, swapping the 996 GT3's engine is no easy task. i've read up on a few german tuners who have done it and there are a few issue to overcome.

1) the GT3 engine is based on the dry-sump GT1 derived block (same block as the 996 turbo and GT2). as a result, the tranny in any wet-sump M96 block boxster does not mate up. a GT3 tranny would need to be acquired and swapped in with the pin gear modified to reverse the direction of the output through the gears. some track car conversions who have done this swap simply ordered a custom race tranny from hewland.

2) a new intake manifold would need to be fabricated as the GT3 manifold is too tall to fit in the boxsters engine bay. otherwise the folding top storage area would need to be banged out to allow room, which was done on a couple track conversions.

3) there are also location issues with the dry-sump system itself, which require some plumbing innovation.

damn shame this conversion is so cost prohibitive, because it would make one hell of a car with a bulletproof engine.
ljd-924se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd-924se
that 3.8L conversion in 'excellence' was done by sportec. and although it did not excite the auto-journalist, i think seal grey on anthracite rims is the best color combination i've seen yet. may have to copy it

unfortunately, swapping the 996 GT3's engine is no easy task. i've read up on a few german tuners who have done it and there are a few issue to overcome.

1) the GT3 engine is based on the dry-sump GT1 derived block (same block as the 996 turbo and GT2). as a result, the tranny in any wet-sump M96 block boxster does not mate up. a GT3 tranny would need to be acquired and swapped in with the pin gear modified to reverse the direction of the output through the gears. some track car conversions who have done this swap simply ordered a custom race tranny from hewland.

2) a new intake manifold would need to be fabricated as the GT3 manifold is too tall to fit in the boxsters engine bay. otherwise the folding top storage area would need to be banged out to allow room, which was done on a couple track conversions.

3) there are also location issues with the dry-sump system itself, which require some plumbing innovation.

damn shame this conversion is so cost prohibitive, because it would make one hell of a car with a bulletproof engine.
Which issue? WTF I would have loved to read that one. The most current issue I have is the "Yellow Bird"

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #5

I'm sure it was January. I'll see if I can dig it up. I think it was the RedCayman on the cover
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #6

the 3.8 sportec conversion was the feb issue with the 911 club coupe on the cover.

just to clarify, the info i provided regarding engine conversions using the dry-sump GT3 3.6 did not come from 'excellence'. the 3.8 used by sportec is the same wet-sump block used in the 997S, and is a far simpler conversion than the GT3 engine.

Last edited by ljd-924se; 02-25-2006 at 11:02 AM.
ljd-924se is offline   Reply With Quote