986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pricing Help On 98 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5174)

KevinH1990 02-21-2006 07:46 PM

Pricing Help On 98

I'm just starting my search for a Boxster, so I need to start building my knowledge base on prices. (I'm not necessarily going to make an offer on this car.)

Please let me know what you think would be a fair offer to a private seller on this car:

17,000 miles
Hardtop
Wind guard
Leather
Black with gray interior

The owner says the engine was replaced in January 2005.

I would get a PPI before I bought the car.

Also, does anyone know if cruise control was standard equipment on 98's?

Any comments or opionions are appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

MNBoxster 02-21-2006 08:07 PM

Hi,

Is that 17K mi. on the New Engine? Or a New Engine at 17K mi.? Makes a BIG difference. Is the Mileage Verified? Original Owner?

Is this a Private party? What explanation for the New Engine? Is it warranteed?

Cruise Control - Option Code M 454 is Optional and not standard.

Assuming it passes a PPI, I would pay about $16-$17k, certainly no more than $18K for it. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

denverpete 02-22-2006 07:42 AM

Kelly Blue Book isn't going to be a very good representation of what the vehicle is really worth. The price of this vehicle is extremely linked to its condition.

Are those 17,000 miles for the life of the vehicle?
Is this "standard" or "Tiptronic"?
What's the condition of the vehicle? (curb rash on wheels, door dings, paint swirls, chips, interior parts not worn, etc).
What condition is the top in? (wear marks, fading, condition of plastic window)
How much tire is left? (these aren't cheap)
Does it come with an owner's manual and 2 keys?
Does the owner's manual show that all necessary work has been performed? (stamps)
Does it come with the Radio Code?
Is the original tool kit there and complete?
Has it ever had an RMS failure? What about a MAF failure?
Has it been "modded" in anyway? (wheels, tires, performance chip, exhaust, short shifter, deambered, etc)

Even if all of these turn out good and there is at least a 1 year warranty on the engine - I still wouldn't pay over $18,500 for it (extra $500 for the hard top).

RandallNeighbour 02-22-2006 07:46 AM

Make sure stuff like the convertible top tranmission cables were replaced in 98 or 99 under warranty... the owner should have paperwork on it or the dealership where he had his work done should be able to print out a report.

KevinH1990 02-22-2006 04:43 PM

Thanks for the information. Depreciation on these cars is a killer. I understand they were around $41,000 when new.

The Consumer Reports pricing guide says $19,825 for a trade in.

NADA says $21,275 for low retail.

KBB says $18,780 for private party sale.

Edmunds says $18,643 for private party.

I'm not sure I'm going to make an offer on this car, but basically it looks like an offer somewhere around the Edmunds private party figure wouldn't embarass me.

I'm going to take your questions and go over them with the seller. The car is a manual, but the other questions will require a personal inspection to answer. I've also downloaded RandallNeighbors very helpful buying guide.

I'm still not certain whether to treat the new engine as a plus or minus. A neighbor of mine has a Boxster that has a replacement engine andhe hasn't had any trouble with it. (Of course my neighbor with the 911 Cabriolet wants to know why I am considering a Boxster.)

I intend to look at several cars and ask a lot of quesitons - I may be bugging you guys a lot over the next month or two. Just let me know when I become a pest.