Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #1

Advice, Please!

No matter whether the convertible top is up or down, the clamshell does not sit flush with either the fender or little trim piece behind the door on the passenger's side of my '97 Boxster. The driver's side of the clamshell sits normally. The operation of the top and clamshell seems to be normal and synchronous. Does this reflect a problem with the cables? Might something else have caused the clamshell to bend? Many thanks for your time and trouble.

jzmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #2

Mine used to sit just fine, nice and even! I took it in for a major and when it came back, I had the same situation you are experiencing (WTH)

I have just lived with it for now, but It goes in for a minor in two weeks and I am bringing it up! Sure they will say thats how they found it and thats fine cause I didnt even notice it for about two weeks after getting in back last time.

If you dont have it solved by then, will post how they fixed mine.

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #3

My first question would be whether or not this is a new problem. New problems indicate something broke, wore out, or fell off.

One area I would check is to open the top about 1-2 feet and check out the arms that rotate the top. These are die cast units which are pinned to the body using a kind of "clip on retainer". If your retainer is missing then these arms don't rotate properly (if at all).

If you are missing a retainer it's imperative that you do not operate the top any more than you need to. These arms can come loose and pierce your top or the foam liner under the top. The retainers are very cheap and it's likely that your dealer will just give you one (or two).

Just one possibility - but easy to check.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #4

Do Pete's checks, and also check the slider for the clamshell. It's a track on either side with a roller in it. Make sure it's clear (i.e. a mechanic didn't leave something in there or a rock got in) and also make sure you grease it a little with some white lithium grease so everything slides nicely. Also grease all of the wheels and joints back there so everything is flowing smoothly.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote