Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #1

Ideas for cable to secure car cover

Bought several used car covers and none came with a cable to secure the cover in high winds. With spring winds blowing, the elastic is no longer enough to keep the cover on the car. These covers all have grommets at bottom of door designed for a cable, or rope, or bungee cord, etc. Of course, finding a solution that will not scratch the car is important, so bungee cords are out. Can anyone take a photo of their cable and/or discuss their solution. I need some ideas. Thanks, Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #2

On really windy days I'm using Door Shox over the cover. They're those magnetic door ding guards. Basically a long piece of rubber with three very strong magnets. I have a Cover King cable and lock but running the cable underneath the car is a hassle. When its not windy I use the door shox underneath the cover for tighter fit. I use the door shox when parking in a mall and even the far away spots I look are full and the space between cars is tight. You just have to be careful not to drag the door shox over the paint surface, stick on flat and lift straight off. If the magnet isn't clean because the car was dirty it will marr the paint.

I have the OEM Porsche Boxster cover ($200 ebay). Cleans up with Simple Green, plug holes with shoe goo. Fit is nearly perfect even with the GT3 front bumper that sits lower and wider. Covers the wheels like with glove tight fit.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-01-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

I ordered something from these guys because my cover blows off easily. It hasn't arrived yet, but several inches of snow decided to help me hold the cover down over the weekend.

Gust Guard - Car Cover Clamps - Secure Outdoor Covers from Wind

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote