Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2006, 08:25 PM   #1

Panarama Magazine sucks

Remarks complete.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:51 AM   #2

I think there could definitely be improvements.

It would be nice to see more profiles of all P cars- past and present- and their drivers. This wouldn’t be too much work as people could just write in with pictures and stories about their Porsche. They could do all this while still including all the typical articles on….whatever those other articles are about.
Onad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #3

Hi,

This is a Club Magazine- a not-for-profit venture. They have no Staff and the Mag is mainly an Advertising Vehicle to fund the Club's treasury (which may have a favorable effect on Membership Dues).

I agree that it Sucks, but, it is what it is...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:57 AM   #4

I know MNBoxster...I was bored and wanted something worth reading...P-mag came in the mail and I was disappointed as usual.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onad
I think there could definitely be improvements.

It would be nice to see more profiles of all P cars- past and present- and their drivers. This wouldn’t be too much work as people could just write in with pictures and stories about their Porsche. They could do all this while still including all the typical articles on….whatever those other articles are about.
Hi,

Aside from Excellence, I think that the three best Auto Mags out there right now are: Sports Car International (actually a Sister Publication to Excellence), and Hemmings Sports and Exotic Car - (Free Introductory Issue). Each of these Mags are excellent quality and showcase Porsche in nearly every Issue. They are not too expensive given the Quality and excellent Content. Check them out at: http://sci-mag.com/ , https://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/subscribe.hsxtrial/source/SUBPGE4 , http://www.excellence-mag.com/ .

There are a lot of others, but they will mostly waste your time, or Flood you with Advertisements. I get Road & Track for Free on an AirMile redemption program and wish I'd gone with MONEY magazine instead...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:43 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
For the PCA region Iam in I receive another magazine,The Drifter along with the Panarama. I think it is more what you are looking for,more profiles of drivers and their cars,classifieds and local P Car meetings.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:43 AM   #7

I don't think PanOrama sucks at all.
I think it's a pretty well-produced club magazine.
True, it doesn't often have articles about sombody spending a couple hundred grand to create yet another fake 911 RSR, but you can go to Excellence for that.
If you want to read about club member's cars, I would think the most recent issue would suit you right down to the ground. There is a whole series of member submissions about their experiences with their 996/997s. Talk about some insipid stuff ...
I do think if I have to read about one more wine country tour by the Santa Barbara folks I'm going to puke, but hey, if that's what the region's send in, that's what gets published.
Like MNBox said, it is what it is, but I don't think it sucks.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #8

I definitely think there needs to be more choices as far as magazines and Porsche is concerned.
Perhaps a magazine geared at Mid-engine Porsches and higer performance 911's with an emphasis on Track/ Autocross and a detaling section.
In general I find the media has been sloooow to exploit the Porsha cult, both in print and on television.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:25 PM   #9

Panarama Magazine sucks? Jeez, and I just joined the PCA and was looking forward to getting the magazine. Oh well, there a number of other Porsche related magazines out there. In addition to Excellence, there is 911 & Porsche World (UK mag, $6.99), GT Purely Porsche (UK mag, expensive at $10.75) and Total 911 (UK mag, $7.95). All of these should be available at your local Barnes & Noble or Borders. All feature frequent Boxster articles except Total 911. I enjoy all of them, though I get tired of the occasional jabs aimed at Americans and/or the US. Some deserved, most not...

Quite a few other automotive magazines feature articles on Porsches; the current issue of AutoAficionado has a Cayman S on the cover with articles on it and a Carrera S inside.

Yes, I'm addicted to car magazines...

Doug
richardda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #10

that's true I find thos jabs annoying. I thought the Britts were the Euros that actually like Americans. Something I learned on my first trip to Europe was that most people I spoke to from Italy, France, Spain, Germany really look down on the Brittish. You wouldn't believe some of the comments I heard: slobs, usophisticated, uneducated, low class, rude, ugly etc. On one ocassion in Southern Spain two tourists from London heard me speaking English and said "Americans! say do you know where I can get some dinner where there aren't any Brittish folks?"

anyhoo.... More Porsches are sold in America then are in Brittain yet most of the good magazines come out of that side of the ocean? Seems like another U.S. based Porsche magazine would do well. I don't like paying $10 for one issue when the whole annual Excellence subscription is like $20.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote