986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Removing Rollbar (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5122)

aerocrosby 02-17-2006 09:42 AM

Removing Rollbar

All the talk of painted rollbars has got me thinking about taking mine out for some color. Any one done the removal themselves?

Thanks in advance for any input!

98Boxster98 02-17-2006 10:46 AM

This is the best example I've seen on what it takes to do it:

painting rollbar

bmussatti 02-17-2006 10:55 AM

98Boxster98, great post! This makes me feel better about my situation (Painted Roll Bars Not Painted from factory- error). Looks pretty straight forward.

98Boxster98 02-17-2006 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
98Boxster98, great post! This makes me feel better about my situation (Painted Roll Bars Not Painted from factory- error). Look pretty straight forward.

I didn't think to post the link when I heard about your factory ordering problem. I post information that attempts to directly answer the question. My interpretation ability is just too darn literal.

denverpete 02-17-2006 12:41 PM

It looks like they're wet painting them (or even spray can painting them) from the pictures on that link.

Get them powder-coated! It's way more durable and will probably look alot nicer.

Chuck W. 03-11-2017 03:23 PM

Nothing like waking up an eleven year old post....

New DIY project ..

This is all Qmulus' fault. He sold several items recently and among them were leather roll bar covers, a leather console lid cover, leather side pieces for the rear console and leather pieces just in front of the console. I bought them all. If they were bought from Sunset Porsche they would have cost over $3200. Yeah... right. Qmulus' sold them to me for under $200 shipped. Many thanks for that. Those tacky vinyl ones stood out!!!! Now these new pieces will match the leather door cards and leather 996 instrument cover (thanks qualityporscheparts). I believe I have issues.... my wife knows I do.

Anyway... if I am going to replace the vinyl roll bar covers I might as well remove the roll bar and have it powder coated in Guards Red. Make sense, right?

So I did my due diligence to find out what it takes to get the roll bar out. The best I can find is that the entire roof assembly needs to come out. There were some posts that suggested that the top only has to be partially removed but I am not sure how that works.

So, for those that have been there and done that, what is your best recommendation?

Boxtaboy 03-11-2017 05:27 PM

I know the guy in the link above that painted his rollbars, and it came out looking great. I couldn't tell it from factory to tell the truth. I'm pretty sure he took the entire roof assembly out to do the job. I think if your wheels are silver, a silver painted rollbar would work too.

itsnotanova 03-11-2017 05:37 PM

I say take the whole top out. I don't think you can remove the rollbar without taking the top out. There's only three bolts on each side and only takes 15 minutes.

steved0x 03-11-2017 06:35 PM

I saw several Boxsters at the werks reunion with painted roll bars and couldn't believe how good it looked!

Someone used to sell snap or stick on covers that were pre-painted, might be an alternative?

j.fro 03-12-2017 07:44 AM

The top bolts to the roll bar, so it's gotta come out. You'll need to disconnect the top cables. I think you can do that at each of the transmissions. Once it's out, the rain trays need to come out, but that's pretty easy. The carpet on the fire wall will need to come out. The roll bar is held in by eight nuts, two at each corner.

Chuck W. 03-12-2017 08:47 AM

Very good, thanks for the info. Headed to the garage now!

Chuck W. 03-12-2017 07:55 PM

Done. The top did have to be completely removed. Thanks for the advice. I'll start a new thread once I get it powder coated and installed.