Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
Boxster 1999

Garage
My 99 Boxster continuous/ongoing project

Hi all, been here for a while and lurk a lot. I am here everyday looking at what everyones doing.
I bought my car last February
Boxster artic grey
I think I have the sport interior package (gray console, three spoke steering wheel, etc.)
Since I got it
Changed:
-4 rotors;
-All brake shoes including parking;
-Tires;
-Added short shift kit and changed the knob;
-Change the AOS;
-All filters (cabin, air intake);
-Clean the rads;
-Few light detailing work.

This year I intend to do the following
-IMS bearing LN Eng (just ordered and I hope I ordered the right dualrow bearing);
-Changing spark plugs and tubes;
-Water pump that I bought last year and haven't installed it yet;
-Low temp thermostat (just bought);
-Fuel filter (just bought);
-I was intending to do the Pedros underdrive pulley (open to comments or suggestions...) swap since I also want to change my drive belt;
-Change coolant fluid;
-Brake fluid;
-Transmission oil change;
-Headlights retrofit/upgrades from nine8six.

My father was a mechanic in his younger years and I bought the car to spend some quality time with him and share his experience while I am getting my hands dirty.

Thought I would share this and if anyone have any suggestions or additional maintenance (required and preventive) let me know!

Eric

Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #2

Hey brother.
Maintenance is maintenance and I'm sure these guys have all kinds of opinions about what u could and should be doing to maintain the car.

With that said, I just wanted to throw out my experience with a few things on ur list.. Last spring, I did the underdrive pulley and ims bearing among other things. At the same time, I also installed an aluminum flywheel and spec clutch.

I can tell u, between those two mods (UD pulley and flywheel), the car absolutely came alive. Revs so quick and is amazingly responsive. Went from a girly car secretaries drove to get their nails done to a real drivers car. Def worth the time and cash. Just my $. 02
sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barteur View Post
My father was a mechanic in his younger years and I bought the car to spend some quality time with him and share his experience while I am getting my hands dirty.
This is absolutely the BEST reason I've ever seen to buy a Boxster!

Bon courage!

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Boxster 1999

Garage
Hi all as mentionned in my original post of this thread. I intended to do the IMS bearing this year. I ordered the parts from pelican. Since I have a 99 I ordered the dual row. I ask Pelican to confirm this was the right part and they responded that it can be one or the other. What do you guys think? What are the chances that I end up with a single row. With what I read it should be almost nul but I wanted your thoughts.
Thanks!
Eric

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5 en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #5
Boxster 1999

Garage
Hi all, so I started my project two weeks ago, jacking up the car, pulling out the transmission to change the IMS bearing with a LN one. Reaching this, with the step by step guide from Pelican was quite easy to do. I just took my time and everything went fine.
During the operation I found out that clutch and flywheel were toast so I started investigating replacement. I order a Aasco lfw and a sprung spec clutch stage 1. Got awesome feedback from spec ( clutch is on its way) but my LFW got delayed. This delay gave me time to look further into the LFW performance gain and also possible issues. I should have done a bit more homework on this... I am no longer sure I am willing to take the risk. I am buying peace of mind by changing the bearing and end up adding a concerns elsewhere...
So long story short I have a sprung clutch on its way and a LFW that can be canceled due to delays in delivery.
Can I install a sprung clutch on a stock new dualmass FW?
If not I will probably by a stock kit or equivalent and sell the sprung clutch later

Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
Boxster 1999

Garage
I Was able to get my information and no sprung clutch with dualmass FW. Throwing this out in case someone would have the same question I had!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
Stick with the LWFW and sprung clutch. I've had mine in for 3 years of racing and 25,000 miles, no worries.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barteur View Post
Hi all, so I started my project two weeks ago, jacking up the car, pulling out the transmission to change the IMS bearing with a LN one. Reaching this, with the step by step guide from Pelican was quite easy to do. I just took my time and everything went fine.
During the operation I found out that clutch and flywheel were toast so I started investigating replacement. I order a Aasco lfw and a sprung spec clutch stage 1. Got awesome feedback from spec ( clutch is on its way) but my LFW got delayed. This delay gave me time to look further into the LFW performance gain and also possible issues. I should have done a bit more homework on this... I am no longer sure I am willing to take the risk. I am buying peace of mind by changing the bearing and end up adding a concerns elsewhere...So long story short I have a sprung clutch on its way and a LFW that can be canceled due to delays in delivery.
Can I install a sprung clutch on a stock new dualmass FW?
If not I will probably by a stock kit or equivalent and sell the sprung clutch later

Excellent reasoning, use the OEM parts & have them dynamicly balanced if possible.