Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
bmussatti

Painted Roll Bars Didn't Get Painted!

Well I am getting close! My 987S is finally in! This has been a 6 month wait (and still counting). I still won't take delivery until late March- as planned.

I was able to see the car today, and found out that the roll bar did not get painted.

This appears to be an error by the factory, because all of the paperwork shows that I selected this option code. The dealer is contacting Porsche to find out how this will be remedied. I am not really concerned if it gets painted or not, but my preference is that it be painted like the car- Carrara White.

My question is, will this be difficult for the dealer or Porsche to resolve? Does it simply get unbolted, and then bolt in a painted one from Porsche? Or the other option is the dealer removes it, gets it painted, and then reinstalls?

Is this a big deal or a minor issue? Am I better off just leaving it as is?

Thanks!!

Old 02-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #2

Hi,

The RollBar simply unbolts. My guess is that the Dealer will end up pulling it and shooting it in it's PaintBooth, or Farming it out to it's Body Shop. Either way, it'd be just as good as if it were painted prior to assembly. In any event, it shouldn't cost you any additional $$ or grief. I'd be sure to get it done as this really finishes the Look of the Car...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #3

While you were there, did you get a chance to check the odometer?

Just as a precaution it might be worth it to call the dealer and emphasize that under no circumstance will you allow anyone to drive (as in test drive) that car.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #4

My 987 came in on monday (a little over 6 month wait) will all options requested. Was nice for about a day (the last two days had some serious snow -- over 600 accidents in 2 days). Maybe this weekend...
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
bmussatti

Biz-z Z, you list the following colors in your signiture:

"'05 987S Targa Florio Blue/Beach Sand Beige"

Are these custom colors??
Old 02-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #6

Naw, just a little “poetic license.” (midnight blue metallic / sand beige) .
Old 02-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Bmus,

What was your build date.
I had a Feb build date and have heard nothing about mine yet.
Congrats.I also ordered the roll bars.

dbth

dbth, mine was an August order
January build
February ship
late March delivery

It's been like clock-work so far!
Old 02-17-2006, 06:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Well I am getting close! My 987S is finally in! This has been a 6 month wait (and still counting). I still won't take delivery until late March- as planned.

I was able to see the car today, and found out that the roll bar did not get painted.

This appears to be an error by the factory, because all of the paperwork shows that I selected this option code. The dealer is contacting Porsche to find out how this will be remedied. I am not really concerned if it gets painted or not, but my preference is that it be painted like the car- Carrara White.
I can't believe that this was wrong as I know how important this was to you. You are the whole reason why it became important to me (I never really appreciated them before we talked). Just make sure that if they bolt this back on after painting they do it right. Those roll bars need to support a lot of weight and may end up saving your life no matter what color...

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #9

What do they need to do that will take a month for dealer-prep? If it was at the dealer I'd be annoyed that I have to wait another 30 days or so.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
What do they need to do that will take a month for dealer-prep? If it was at the dealer I'd be annoyed that I have to wait another 30 days or so.

SD987, this was the plan. I don't want the car any sooner. I don't want to drive it in Chicago's winters. And my money is tied-up (invested) until mid-March.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #11

As I generally believe that the universe revolves around me here in San Diego, I sometimes forget things like Chicago winters. Good thinking !

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #12

Which dealer? I have a 987 S on order for June delivery at Napleton.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_brown
Which dealer? I have a 987 S on order for June delivery at Napleton.
Hi j_Brown, Congrats on your new 987S. I am working with a dealer in Dayton, OH.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:23 AM   #14
bmussatti

I have a question about how this is related to the Options Code Sticker on the car.

This roll bar will be painted prior to final delivery, but, who and how will the Options Code Sticker be updated to properly reflect the change and correction? If this is really an issue anyway, I don't know, but, better safe than sorry.

Thanks.