986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Repair notes... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51094)

Timco 03-09-2014 01:44 PM

Repair notes...

Squeaky rear brakes. Pads look almost new in thickness. Never squeaked until new rear rotors.

Finally pulled them. I could see my reflection in two and all 4 had grooves and scratches the shape of the rotor.

Used 120 grit on my palm sander and kept the pad perfectly flat on the sander and took them down until perfect matte finish.

Silent.

:D

Gforrest2 03-09-2014 02:04 PM

Good info. Just changed pads and rotors on my kids RSX. He's complaining about squeaking. Will give this a try.

Benjamin 03-10-2014 06:12 AM

You do realize that there is a break-in procedure for new rotors and/or pads, right? Each manufacturer is slightly different, but they all have them.

For instance, Hawk recommends:

"After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete"

Timco 03-10-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin (Post 390390)
You do realize that there is a break-in procedure for new rotors and/or pads, right? Each manufacturer is slightly different, but they all have them.

For instance, Hawk recommends:

"After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete"

I followed something similar to this. My issue was new rear rotors with existing but near new pads. The rotors had some painted surface. This has totally reset the pads.

rp17 03-10-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 390421)
I followed something similar to this. My issue was new rear rotors with existing but near new pads. The rotors had some painted surface. This has totally reset the pads.

Your solution appeared to work which is good. But I was about to mention the same procedure as above. What was the similar procedure that you did that didn't work? Just curious

Timco 03-12-2014 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rp17 (Post 390427)
Your solution appeared to work which is good. But I was about to mention the same procedure as above. What was the similar procedure that you did that didn't work? Just curious

I did pads and front rotors a year and a half ago. I think there was a slip of paper with the pads, TRW.

The rear rotors were about a year later. Paper that came with those says new pads must be used but my pads were still very new in thickness. No break in instructions. It was used pads on new rotors that made it squeak bad. Every stop. Resurface has made them silent.

jb92563 03-12-2014 06:41 AM

A Team Porsche Race driver from the 70's told me that they would slip sandpaper between the discs and rotor and do a lap to "resurface" the rotors if they were giving less than optimal performance. ;)