986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   partial leather interior- what parts are leather ? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51090)

rfuerst911sc 03-09-2014 01:06 AM

partial leather interior- what parts are leather ?

2002 Boxster S with black partial leather interior the car is new to me. So how do I know what parts are leather ? I'm assuming I use leather products on the leather and vinyl products on the balance. I'm guessing the seats and steering wheel are leather but anything else ? Thanks

rick3000 03-09-2014 01:20 AM

Link on Partial Leather: 986faq
If I remember correctly, on partial leather seats only the back part isn't real leather. And the steering wheel should be leather, but not the airbag.

You could order the 986 with almost every part you touch in leather, my car even has leather wrapped air vents. The problem is that finding or replacing these leather parts is next to impossible, because they never show up used, and I don't think you can buy most of them from Porsche. I haven't been able to find a Graphite Grey leather wrapped key surround anywhere, for instance.

BRAN 03-09-2014 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc (Post 390255)
2002 Boxster S with black partial leather interior the car is new to me. So how do I know what parts are leather ? I'm assuming I use leather products on the leather and vinyl products on the balance. I'm guessing the seats and steering wheel are leather but anything else ? Thanks

lets see...E-brake, stick shift, door handles and side Airbags, anything else?

RedTele58 03-09-2014 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 390257)
You could order the 986 with almost every part you touch in leather, my car even has leather wrapped air vents. The problem is that finding or replacing these leather parts is next to impossible, because they never show up used, and I don't think you can buy most of them from Porsche. I haven't been able to find a Graphite Grey leather wrapped key surround anywhere, for instance.

Check with Robert Budd at Classic 9 Leather Shop. Porsche Interior Restoration Leather Craftsman Classic 9 Leather

He does a bunch of interior restoration on earlier Porsches. The 928 had a lot of leather covered options like you are talking about in their "Executive Option" list.

I know he does a lot of smaller leather covered interior pieces. Your key surround should be a simple project for him.

986_c6 03-12-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAN (Post 390260)
lets see...E-brake, stick shift, door handles and side Airbags, anything else?

He got it right. That is all I know of also.