Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #1

Garage
Exclamation Yet another thread abour radio upgrade

Hello guys, I have searched all over but couldn't find what I am looking for:
I want to swap my old CDR23 with an aftermarket unit.
My car is an European 986S - MY2003 with CDR23, CD changer and standard ampli (its not BOSE I believe) all run on MOST.
I removed the CD changer and Radio, been able to wire the new aftermarket unit to power on but wasn't able to figure the speakers connections.
I have a C1 connector with different wire colours and pinout.
Only four wires! Yellow, Red and white, Green, Black.
Also do I have to close the MOST loop to "power on" the speakers?
Any help really appreciated!

notech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:03 AM   #2

Garage
Hi notech, see your in Gibraltar, small world as my family are from Gib anyway I digress, if you have the most setup then the speakers will be running from the amp location which I think is in the front trunk.

Have a check of the connection from the amp as if you are running MOST then you have to tap the speakers from the amp side as output from stereo was optical.

I have just replaced my CDR23 & Bose amp with a Pioneer X5600BT & fitting kit from eurospeed & it looks & works great

Dan

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by danch View Post
Hi notech, see your in Gibraltar, small world as my family are from Gib anyway I digress, if you have the most setup then the speakers will be running from the amp location which I think is in the front trunk.

Have a check of the connection from the amp as if you are running MOST then you have to tap the speakers from the amp side as output from stereo was optical.

I have just replaced my CDR23 & Bose amp with a Pioneer X5600BT & fitting kit from eurospeed & it looks & works great

Dan

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion Dan! I will check the output from the Amp. Do I need to "power on" the amp in some way to output to the speakers or I will have to bypass it completely?
Happy to meet you in Gibraltar for a tapas one day!
Ser
Old 03-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notech View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Dan! I will check the output from the Amp. Do I need to "power on" the amp in some way to output to the speakers or I will have to bypass it completely?
Happy to meet you in Gibraltar for a tapas one day!
Ser
Hi,
If you have fitted the aftermarket head unit then the CDR23, CD Changer & Amp will be surplus to requirements as they will all run on the MOST (Optical) system, If you can post picture of the amp in the front trunk or the model number as you may have a couple of options..

Do you have rear speakers behind your head & is it the Bose system ?

I had a CDR23 with Bose Option & Amp on mine, I chose the X5600BT Double Din unit, Eurospeed double din fitting kit & this connection kit :

META_TAGS_REVIEWAutoleads PC2-95-4 Porsche Cayenne ISO Harness Lead [Autoleads PC2-95-4] - £29.99 : Car Audio 4 Less, Car Audio System

Only change I had to do was swap the Earth & +12v as it's for a cayenne but works on the Bose amp as well.

If you can get the pictures then it will make the route to take easier to decide.

That would be great, was over for National day as my dad wanted to take us over to experience it as he left in 1967..was also just over in Feb showing my boys a bit of their heritage
Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Hi,
If you have fitted the aftermarket head unit then the CDR23, CD Changer & Amp will be surplus to requirements as they will all run on the MOST (Optical) system, If you can post picture of the amp in the front trunk or the model number as you may have a couple of options..

Do you have rear speakers behind your head & is it the Bose system ?

I had a CDR23 with Bose Option & Amp on mine, I chose the X5600BT Double Din unit, Eurospeed double din fitting kit & this connection kit :

META_TAGS_REVIEWAutoleads PC2-95-4 Porsche Cayenne ISO Harness Lead [Autoleads PC2-95-4] - £29.99 : Car Audio 4 Less, Car Audio System

Only change I had to do was swap the Earth & +12v as it's for a cayenne but works on the Bose amp as well.

If you can get the pictures then it will make the route to take easier to decide.

That would be great, was over for National day as my dad wanted to take us over to experience it as he left in 1967..was also just over in Feb showing my boys a bit of their heritage
I have a BE-6600 MOST Ampli, CDC and CDR23. No bose system.
I will try to find a pinout and connect speakers directly from it's output.
Last question, how do I run cables from trunk to cabin?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
I have a BE-6600 MOST Ampli, CDC and CDR23. No bose system.
I will try to find a pinout and connect speakers directly from it's output.
Last question, how do I run cables from trunk to cabin?
If you go in the Frunk (Front Trunk) remove the battery cover & battery (make note of the pos & neg so you put back the correct way round) , then on yours (left hand drive?) on the right hand of the firewall you should see a large rubber grommet, use a stanley knife to slice an X in it & pass the wires through & push them down for about 6 inches.

They should come though above the accelerator peddle & you should be able to feel them

Dan
Old 03-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
If you go in the Frunk (Front Trunk) remove the battery cover & battery (make note of the pos & neg so you put back the correct way round) , then on yours (left hand drive?) on the right hand of the firewall you should see a large rubber grommet, use a stanley knife to slice an X in it & pass the wires through & push them down for about 6 inches.

They should come though above the accelerator peddle & you should be able to feel them

Dan
Thanks! Done it! It was a pain to get the right cables from AMP, also my pinout colors are different. I've found an aperture with a rubber cap that get straight to pedal.
If I put all speakers on common ground would this affect anything?
Thanks
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #8

Garage
Brilliant Sergio, regarding the speaker common ground I wouldn't have a clue as not up fully on stereo wiring, maybe someone else may have an answer

Regards

Dan
Old 03-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #9

Garage
I have just changed the head unit on my UK 03 - I also had the CDR23 with MOST connected amp in the front boot. I have also installed speakers in the rear tray (behind the seats), installed new front door speakers (the old ones were pathetic) and installed a sub behind the passenger seat.

Let me know if you still need any help with wiring, suggestions on speakers for the doors, templates for the replacement of the ported enclosure, etc.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #10

Garage
Why do you want to put all the speaker on a common ground? If you tap into the wiring loom to the amp (or find an adapter) you should be able to take off all 8 wires to the dash and door speakers and route them back to your head unit. I can tell which wires to tap into it you still need this info.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 AM   #11

Garage
Thanks to all guys!
I was able to wire everything correctly at the end.
Have put a 7" retractable unit with WinCE and Android.
I am able to read and clean generic OBD2 error codes via Bluetooth + Torque app for more info like coolant temp. really useful as it shows real temperature not like our gauge.
Sygic 14 for GPS and radar alerts.
I still have to configure Wifi and 3G key to work with the unit in order to get constant software and maps updates on the go.
Will post some more info and photos if anyone is interested.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:59 AM   #12

Garage
Sergio, that looks brilliant, nice work on the Torque integration
Old 04-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #13

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to saintdrug
Quote:
Thanks to all guys!
I was able to wire everything correctly at the end.
Have put a 7" retractable unit with WinCE and Android.
I am able to read and clean generic OBD2 error codes via Bluetooth + Torque app for more info like coolant temp. really useful as it shows real temperature not like our gauge.
Sygic 14 for GPS and radar alerts.
I still have to configure Wifi and 3G key to work with the unit in order to get constant software and maps updates on the go.
Will post some more info and photos if anyone is interested.
can you explain and maybe tell me what you bought, or an example of low price monitors and how its hooked? I am very interested in this, if you have from ebay uk links would be great, looking to add a 7" too but don't know what mounts yours look great there
saintdrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:06 AM   #14

Garage
The radio is a Chinese Road Veles 2,
7" retractable Touch screen with removable lid.
Dual OS:
WinCE as main for Radio, DVD, MP3, DVB-T, Ipod, AUX, BT phone.
Android 4.0.1 for GPS, BT, 3G, WIFI
Torque app is using Bluetooth which connects to OBD reader.
I've choose it because I can program in Android OS so customize the system a little bit.
The unit is far from perfect when OEM,
Android lacks of BT support had to inject drivers and connect a USB BT dongle
System time is reset at every power off (had to use a script that syncs time by GPS satellites)
All 4 speakers are working on WinCE, 2 speakers on Android, there are some tweaks on internet to enable all of them but so far didn't work for me, but I don't care a lot as don't listen music a lot.
In general the system is a little more compact than the one I used to build like carputers in previous cars.

Tags
radio. aftermarket.