Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #1

Can a spinlock for hardtop break?

Hi,had a factory hardtop and spinlocks worked fine with hardtop.I picked up a zeintop and for some reason the passager side doesnt want to lock down into place.Its like almost locked in if it just went a few millerters down,but it feels like its not even catching anything to hold it in.I'am able to take the part off the zeintop the goes into the spinlock and move it around freely.Even with the part off the zeintop,putting it into the spinlock i still cant get it to lock down.So its not the zeintop at all.The zeintop part looks normal nothing bent or broken and same as otherside.Can the spinlock come out of adjustment/fit while we where putting it on or even a piece break off? Just trying to get some ideas before i have to take the thing apart again.

eomak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
When this happens to a stock hardtop, one must adjust the pin assembly on the hardtop.

Is this assembly adjustable on your top?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #3

Yes the spinlocks can, and do break, But it is more likely you need to adjust the part that go's into the spinlock, I know you can do this on the OME. hardtops I have no idea how if you can do this one zeintop.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #4

I have the Zeintop and have had the same issue. One side locks down fine while the other side will just not quite catch. The problem I have is that the handle on the latch on the top hits the body of the car about 2 or 3 mm too soon. In my opinion, it's just the nature of Zeintech's fabrication. If the handle had a 10 or 15 degree offset or kink, then it would work fine. Part of my issue is that the top is not perfectly symmetric, creating a bigger gap on one side than the other.

I solved my problem in two ways, repositioning the spinlock in the car body for maximum "inward" placement. There is a little play and I just tightened it in that position. Second, I played with the shims on the latch mounts and through trial and error finally found the best configuration. Not perfect, but close.

Finally, when I put the top on, I use a 10mm box end wrench to hold the latch tight. I put the box over the latch and wedge the wench under the body sheet metal, padding it with a rag to keep it from rubbing metal on metal! Not perfect, but it stays locked!

Last edited by Byron in Atlanta; 02-16-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Byron in Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
When this happens to a stock hardtop, one must adjust the pin assembly on the hardtop.

Is this assembly adjustable on your top?
Can someone clarify how to adjust the stock hardtop pin assembly? My stock hardtop will lock securely on the right side, but will not lock into place on the left. As far as I can tell the top is fitted to the car correctly. However, the hardtop lever will not rotate a full quarter turn to "lock" into the spin lock. Any advice would be welcomed.
brinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You can adjust the pins that go into the spin locks via the three allen bolts underneath the plastic cover that pops off just inside the top. It is pretty straight forward. I have never seen a spin lock break, but I have seen the lever used to lock the top down break, so don't force if it isn't moving, adjust it.

On a side note, this is also how you can adjust the top for squeaks, have someone push forward and down on the top while you tighten the bolts.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Pop off the covers on the hardtop which are right above the red levers and adjust by loosening the Allen bolts

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote