986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Aftermarket Wheels on 987 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5106)

mrsparkle 02-15-2006 01:59 PM

Aftermarket Wheels on 987

Anyone have aftermarket wheels on their 987 yet? If so, can you post a link or pic?

I'm thinking about swapping out my Carrera S 19s for some 18s. I do not want to lower my car or upgrade to another oem porsche wheel.

Btw, does anyone know the weight of the Carrera S 19s?

Thanks!

bmussatti 02-15-2006 02:14 PM

mrsparkle, the Carrera S 19's are about 25.5 pounds each. Call www.wheelenhancement.com and they will know for sure. You can also shop their site for some nice aftermarket wheels. They have a very nice classic 5 spoke wheel (Perfectlap's favorite wheel in the whole wide world!). Phone number is 310-836-8908.

Why don't you like the current 19's? Is it the style or the 19 inches??

bmussatti 02-15-2006 02:20 PM

Fronts are 22 pounds 4 ounces
Rears are 24 pounds 11 ounces

mrsparkle 02-15-2006 03:34 PM

It's not that I'm unhappy with the 19s, I just want my box to stand out more. My major problem with the 19s are the tire selections...or lack of. With the 18s, I will have lighter wheels, better ride and less expensive tires.

Uncle Bob 02-16-2006 12:20 PM

I just ordered these:
18x8.5 SSR GT10 BSPL Front
18x9.5 SSR GT10 BSPL Rear
http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheel...gt10_ci3_l.jpg

They will have Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 S
Front: 235/40VR18 N0
Rear: 265/40VR18 N0
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...810s_ci2_l.jpg

They are from tirerack.com. I did order Porsche center caps as well. ;)
Man, it wasn't cheap, but they will definitely fit an '05 and there weren't many that would, as far as I could definitely find out. I had found several that "may well fit" and if not "just send them back" and I'm not willing to do that. It's snowed here several times already near here and I need to drive in the snow.

As far as 17" wheels, all I could find were the "turbo look" wheels, not to my liking but considerably less expensive.
Go to 19" and there are no Winter tires, but several Summer ones, but I don't really want 19's, as my beat to hell back can use a little cushioning that 19's just don't have!

Hope this helps!

MNBoxster 02-16-2006 12:56 PM

@UncleBob,

You made a good choice sticking with 18's. Aside from better, and cheaper, Tire selection, the 18's give much better performance.

In addition, there have been a number of Rear Wheel Hub fractures on Cars equipped with 19" Wheels. The Cast Hub fractures radially from the excess Stress and Force imposed on them from the Large Wheel/Tire combination.

I understand that a TSB warning of this, and adding a Hub inspection to routine maintenance, is in the works from Porsche. 19's may look good on the Boulevard, but if you plan on using alot of Go Pedal, I'd stay away from them...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

BoxsterSbob 02-16-2006 01:44 PM

Beautiful wheels!

You have excellent taste, they're going to look great on the Box.
Please post a couple of pix once they're installed.

Any idea how much they weigh?

Enjoy them.
'04S
bob

Rail26 02-16-2006 06:23 PM

Uncle Bob...please post pics as soon as you have them installed! Look forward to seeing them on the Silver beauty.

Uncle Bob 02-17-2006 07:23 AM

Not sure on the weight, I'll see if I can find out. They should be here first of the week. Pics? Absolutely!

Uncle Bob 02-17-2006 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Not sure on the weight, I'll see if I can find out. They should be here first of the week. Pics? Absolutely!

OK, Weights:
Front: 24.3 lbs
Rear: 25.1 lb

Wheels only.

The sets have left Seattle, probably not to be delivered till Monday, however. The centercaps are out for delivery, though!

Anyone know the torque settings offhand? Or, I'll have to dig out the manual, which is no problem. :rolleyes:

MNBoxster 02-17-2006 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
OK, Weights:
Front: 24.3 lbs
Rear: 25.1 lb

Wheels only.

The sets have left Seattle, probably not to be delivered till Monday, however. The centercaps are out for delivery, though!

Anyone know the torque settings offhand? Or, I'll have to dig out the manual, which is no problem. :rolleyes:

Hi,

The Torque Spec is 130Nm or 96 Ft. Lbs.. Be sure to tighten these in alternating sequence, tightening a Bolt's Opposite until all are tightened. It's also a good idea to Torque them in steps, say 30 Ft. Lbs., 60 Ft. Lbs., and finally 96 Ft. Lbs. This will insure greater accuracy. Also, re-check them all after about 50 miles of Driving (Alloy Wheels will expand/contract which can loosen the Torque Settings). Hope this helps...

Uncle Bob 02-17-2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

The Torque Spec is 130Nm or 96 Ft. Lbs.. Be sure to tighten these in alternating sequence, tightening a Bolt's Opposite until all are tightened. It's also a good idea to Torque them in steps, say 30 Ft. Lbs., 60 Ft. Lbs., and finally 96 Ft. Lbs. This will insure greater accuracy. Also, re-check them all after about 50 miles of Driving (Alloy Wheels will expand/contract which can loosen the Torque Settings). Hope this helps...

Got that, thanks, Jim.

I'm an old oil field worker, bolted lots of flanges! Just needed setting. I'd had guessed 100, not far off. I always go in a rotation of opposites, torque in sequences ot 30% and use an antisieze on base of hub. It helps get wheel off better as steel has a habit of 'holding on' to aluminum wheels! This is probably particularly true with the heat generated on this application as well.

Uncle Bob 02-17-2006 12:31 PM

Feb 17, 2006 at 09:43 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery BELLINGHAM, WA

Wel, that was fast! Here come the tires as well! I have to work all night, but I know what I'll do when I awake tomorrow!!

Uncle Bob 02-17-2006 05:29 PM

Ready for Snow!!

Had time (with help from son "No, Dan, you still can't drive the car, but i appreciate your help!) to put these on and take pics before heading out to work.

Uncle Bob 02-17-2006 05:30 PM

More views. Hey, these look great to me!

Uncle Bob 02-17-2006 05:32 PM

A couple for 'instant gratification!: :) :cheers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Boxster19.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Boxster20.jpg

Rail26 02-17-2006 06:28 PM

Whoa...nice!

Uncle Bob 02-17-2006 07:11 PM

Thanks! I may even make them my new regular wheels!

Pilot2519j 02-18-2006 09:42 AM

Awesome looking alloy!

Real nice alloys. I have the same winter tires not bad at all. I would say the Boxster is a good snow car. Problem you might encounter if you are driving in heavy snow is the ground clearance. Instead of 18's as you installed I bought from the dealer a package they had for 1850 4 tires 17". So far this is the 2 nd winter never been stuck anywhere, but I do know there are big limitations with heavy snow. My other set is with the Carrera light alloy 18" Michelins Pilot. I have to say yours looks equally nice. :cheers:

Uncle Bob 02-18-2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
Real nice alloys. I have the same winter tires not bad at all. I would say the Boxster is a good snow car. Problem you might encounter if you are driving in heavy snow is the ground clearance. Instead of 18's as you installed I bought from the dealer a package they had for 1850 4 tires 17". So far this is the 2 nd winter never been stuck anywhere, but I do know there are big limitations with heavy snow. My other set is with the Carrera light alloy 18" Michelins Pilot. I have to say yours looks equally nice. :cheers:

Thanks. Yes, I had thought that as well. I look in the wheel wells and that ain't very much room! You get a slushy snow and it will build up and cause problems with steering as well.
Glad to know it does handle well in the snow! With just under 1k miles on it, I'm not really ready to take it out in the snow unless I had to!