Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #1

How on earth do I open my boxster door?

Help, still stuck!

I went for a drive and locked the car and now cannot even hear the door trying to open. I do not have remote locking(never worked when I got the car) and use the driver's door key lock. Now, I was going to order the lock mechanism part from UK as they are really expensive here in NZ, but I don't know how to open the door to remove the panelling etc! I tried rapping the door above the handle as suggested, but I assume it's locked and will not unlock via driver's door key. Help, any ideas?
How can I open/unock door?

paulinei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #2

Garage
maybe call a locksmith? I am not really sure TBH.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You said your car has remote locking, but it has never worked. Try changing the battery in the key fob and see if it works. You may be able to get the passenger door open to access the lock from the inside. Otherwise, what is the NZ equivalent of AAA?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #4

^ that remote deprograms itself if its been deactivated for too long.

I would call the Porsche dealer nearest to you and see what they suggest.
I'm sure they've had customers lose their keys before, or maybe lost the customer's.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinei View Post
Help, still stuck!

I went for a drive and locked the car and now cannot even hear the door trying to open. I do not have remote locking(never worked when I got the car) and use the driver's door key lock. Now, I was going to order the lock mechanism part from UK as they are really expensive here in NZ, but I don't know how to open the door to remove the panelling etc! I tried rapping the door above the handle as suggested, but I assume it's locked and will not unlock via driver's door key. Help, any ideas?
How can I open/unock door?
I would try this... Make sure the battery is good in your remote (as mentioned by Rick) Try unlocking the door by inserting the key into the door mechanism and turn to the unlock position, within a few seconds push the button on your remote (you can do this while key is in the door mechanism). This is how you sync your remote if the car has been sitting for a few days (some models). Worth a try??

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #6

still not working

I tried changing the battery, but the remote still won't work. I tried putting the key in the lock and unlocking and pressing remote at same time, no luck. Any other ideas? I got a new locking mechanism sent out from UK but need the door open to get the panel off.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinei View Post
I tried changing the battery, but the remote still won't work. I tried putting the key in the lock and unlocking and pressing remote at same time, no luck. Any other ideas? I got a new locking mechanism sent out from UK but need the door open to get the panel off.
You might try lock lubricant. If (big if there) something is sticking in the locking mechanism that may free it up so it operates again.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #8

Circuit board on the key might be damaged. Best to get a new one from dealer, they might charge you for programming and you need to bring the car registration for proof of ownership.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #9

all working now!

I bought a new lock mechanism from UK, (half the price of buying one here in NZ), took car to my mechanic who removed the seat to get at the door panel, managed to remove door panel and open door and changed lock mechanism. Funny though whilst working on the door the rear spoiler popped up and he had to take car for a drive to reset and drop the spoiler.
I haven't got the bill yet, but at least I can get into the passenger seat in a ladylike manner now!