Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #1

Rough Running 1999 Boxster

Fellow Forum Members,

1. I seek your guidance before I take my Boxster to an independent shop or the dealer.

2. I have a 99 Tipronic Boxster. It has approximately 207,100 miles. I changed the spark plugs, oil & filter at approximately 200,496 miles (on 1 Dec 13).

3. On 20 Feb 14, I had an independent shop replace the transmission filter, gasket and fluid. The mechanic hooked up a scanner and the following codes came up:
P1126 - Oxygen sensing adaptation frau bank 1 lower load range
P1124 - Please refer to vehicle service manual
P0446 - Please refer to vehicle service manual
P0455 - Evaporative emission system leak detected (large leak)
Check engine light is on.

4. After coming off the highway (65 mile trip from Temple to Austin) my car cut off while I was at a stop light. I had no problems on the highway (60 to 80 mph). It cut off on me two additional times on the way home. It also ran very rough, as if it was not firing on one or more cylinders. As I drove into my garage it shut off again.

5. The car left a distinct smell of a just fired cap gun.

6. I am thinking that one or more of my coil-packs are bad. The coils on the car have never been changed. When I changed the spark plugs, I did not see any damage (cracks, etc.) on any of the coils.

7. What do you all think is my problem?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MNC-I

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #2

The first two suggest a vacuum leak in the system. I had those as well and it was a leak at the AOS boot and another at the brake booster. $1200 to fix at my Indy. I was hoping it was an easy 10 buck oil filler cap, but that didn't resolve the issue.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:14 PM   #3

Jeffm,

Thanks for the heads up.

I will check the vacuum hose that runs from the engine to the brake booster.

About a year ago it came off where the hose connects to the engine. I lost my power brakes. All I had to do was reconnect it. (right now my power brakes are working fine).

I hope it isn't the AOS. While it isn't all that expensive, I've had the AOS fail me and need replacing twice in 100,000 miles.

Thanks again!

MNC-I
Old 03-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #4

Fellow 986Forum Members,

Here is the rest of the story on my formally rough running 1999 Boxster....

1. My mechanic discovered that my 100 mph tape temporary repair of my brake booster line (as it attached to the engine) was holding up well, but the hose had a crack in it. Apparently that was causing the engine to cut off and run roughly.

2. So, he replaced the line and repaired the connection to the engine.

3. Parts came to $106.90. Labor was $400.00.

4. That took care of all the codes except the code on the evaporative emissions system canister (it has a bad purge/shut off valves). I decided not to waste any time or money on saving the environment (my Texas county does not do the communist smog test, only a safety inspection).

MNC-I
Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #5

Garage
I decided not to waste any time or money on saving the environment (my Texas county does not do the communist smog test, only a safety inspection).

MNC-I

What's a safety inspection?
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #6

SeanZ4,

This is a yearly requirement (you get a sticker placed above or below the license sticker on the windshield).

For $12.50 per year, the state inspects your car for working brakes, lights, blinkers, brake lights, parking brake, serviceable windshield wipers and blades, no exhaust leaks, serviceable glass & mirrors, good tires.

MNC-I
Old 03-06-2014, 05:47 AM   #7

Garage
mnc-i, I'm sorry, I was being facetious about the 'safety inspection'! Here they'll let anything on the road. Unbelievable!

SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote