986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Camshaft cover reseal labor? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50997)

supersparker 03-02-2014 08:14 AM

Camshaft cover reseal labor?

1 Attachment(s)
I am in the process of having a camshaft cover reseal done on my '01 Boxster daily driver.

Has anyone had this done this lately?

What were you charged by the shop that performed the work?
Did you go to the Dealer or an indy shop?

Any experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JFP in PA 03-02-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supersparker (Post 389196)
I am in the process of having a camshaft cover reseal done on my '01 Boxster daily driver.

Has anyone done this lately?

What were you charged by the shop that performed the work?
Did you go to the Dealer or an indy shop?

Any experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

First of all, be sure it is the cover and not something simpler to fix like a spark plug tube seal.

If it is the cam cover, removing it requires special tooling and some understanding of how Porsche seals these engines; you cannot just pull of the cover, smear some silicone on it and slap it back together again. As the cam cover and cylinder head are machined as a unit, the cover is not replaceable; so whoever works on it has to be sure to do no damage.

Gilles 03-02-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 389198)
First of all, be sure it is the cover and not something simpler to fix like a spark plug tube seal.

+ 1..

On my engine, the culprit ended being the AOS...

supersparker 03-02-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 389198)

If it is the cam cover, removing it requires special tooling and some understanding of how Porsche seals these engines; you cannot just pull of the cover, smear some silicone on it and slap it back together again. As the cam cover and cylinder head are machined as a unit, the cover is not replaceable; so whoever works on it has to be sure to do no damage.

Right....I knew this already.
Looking mainly for persons whom have had this done lately to get pricing..

Thanks in advance.

Trey T 03-03-2014 01:59 PM

Which side is it? If it is to be done with the engine in the car, one side is easier than the other.

I've looked into it awhile back for DIY and it requires a cam hold down tool but to get to it seems painful, especially w/o a car lift.

$140/hr dealer labor around here, I would say it would take any Porsche mechanic up to 2hrs each side.

supersparker 03-03-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trey T (Post 389380)
Which side is it? If it is to be done with the engine in the car, one side is easier than the other.

I've looked into it awhile back for DIY and it requires a cam hold down tool but to get to it seems painful, especially w/o a car lift.

$140/hr dealer labor around here, I would say it would take any Porsche mechanic up to 2hrs each side.

Thanks for your input...Dropped the car off at the "stealership" this morning. Quoted $550 for right side........

thstone 03-03-2014 09:02 PM

I paid $1,100 to reseal both cam covers on my 996. Not sure if the job is easier or harder to perform on a 986.

Trey T 03-04-2014 07:27 AM

Sounds high unless there are expensive parts added to it that I don't know about.
$140/hr, that's senior level mechanics (20yrs+ of experience) porsche guys. They can probably knock it out in two-three hrs for both side.

For $550, sounds like they are putting a junior mechanic in there and eats up a lot of time. (Please don't get into flag hrs or billable hrs discussion....)

I believe a competitive price is $350/side. If you don't have a wide selection of reputable Porsche shop in Austin, you'll have to pay a non-competitive (aka high price, $550) pricing.

Keep in mind that the Porsche repair market is very small. You can bring it to a Honda guy that charges you $90/hr but that's gonna take him a maybe twice as long to do the work.
Quote:

Originally Posted by supersparker (Post 389412)
Thanks for your input...Dropped the car off at the "stealership" this morning. Quoted $550 for right side........