986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Buying Porsche at Carmax? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50994)

surf40 03-01-2014 09:25 PM

Buying Porsche at Carmax?

So, what do you guys think of this.
Why Your Next Unreliable Luxury Car Should Come From CarMax

Carmax offers a 6 year extended warranty for about $3k. Sounds like it might be a deal on a 2005-2008 987 with the unreplaceable IMS

Topless 03-01-2014 09:58 PM

Maybe one way to go, unless you could get a 2009 for the same $$. For me, having cars that don't break is even better than cars that do break but have warranty coverage. The aggravation factor must be considered.

Davev 03-01-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surf40 (Post 389156)
So, what do you guys think of this.
Why Your Next Unreliable Luxury Car Should Come From CarMax

Carmax offers a 6 year extended warranty for about $3k. Sounds like it might be a deal on a 2005-2008 987 with the unreplaceable IMS

Loved reading the article. Great wit.

BIGJake111 03-02-2014 06:22 AM

Thing is, is the warranty only for the carmax techs because I don't think if trust them on a twint turbo v12.

Slate 01 03-02-2014 06:34 AM

Seriously, you don't want Carmax "technicians" working on your vehicle, not sure I would want them even changing my oil.

Went with a friend who was looking for a car and he wanted to check out Carmax, so I went a few times with him, I advised him against every car we checked out. I just wouldn't buy from these guys, even the car history they print out for you is seriously lacking information, doesn't even come close to a CarFax report.

recycledsixtie 03-02-2014 07:01 AM

I would only buy a used car from a dealer like Porsche or from a private person. Used car dealers have such a bad reputation. I like a level playing field. A warranty from Porsche okay but anybody else forget it. Burned a few times in the past......:(
G

BruceH 03-02-2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJake111 (Post 389178)
Thing is, is the warranty only for the carmax techs because I don't think if trust them on a twint turbo v12.

Take it to any mechanic. From the comments section of the article:

"Deal Killer the Over WorkedUDoug DeMuro51L
So, do you have to take your car to the Car Max dealership to get it fixed, or will they cover work done by other mechanics. So, if say, your in Podunk Ohio, and your Land Rover goes Kaboom, and you get it fixed at a nearby service station, will Car Max honor their warranty? 7/17/13 2:01pm

Kit 'Haddy' IwamatsuUDeal Killer the Over Worked1L
Any certified mechanic. The warranty is sold by Carmax, but run by a 3rd party company. I'm not going to go into details, but they will fix any problem that isnt obviously owner abuse. There are a huge list of exceptions, but when a carmax bought vehicle driven by my wife popped its transmission and a halfshaft, they repaired it for 50 dollars at a factory dealer. The bill was 4900. 7/17/13 2:09pm"

Perfectlap 03-02-2014 07:52 AM

Buy a CPO Porsche from a Porsche dealer with an extended factory warranty.
The first of the 2009 cars are just now starting to come off warranty, many will have low miles and be in mint condition.
It's the perfect time for a CPO.

also, the IMS is not the biggest problem with a Porsche engine. If the engine goes down after the simple bearing swap it was more likely due to other build or design flawes -- which may or may not have been a consequence of poor maintenace, driving habits and not proactively replacing cooling components soon enough.

rp17 03-02-2014 12:14 PM

Bought my boxster with a warranty that I only planned to keep for a few months as insurance. Warranty turned out to be a great thing for me. All repairs were done by my local Porshe dealership which is extremely high. They see plenty of cars out here in suberbia.

I checked with that same dealership on a warranty they charged and was shocked. If the warranty allows you to take it anywhere, and you feel you need one, its a no brainer.