986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Keep your Vin# to yourself! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5079)

MNBoxster 02-13-2006 05:23 AM

Keep your Vin# to yourself!

Hi,

Just some friendly advise...do NOT post your VIN # on this, or any other Forum. There are a lot of unscrupulous people on the Net and I have seen these VIN #s abused by some Bad people.

Sound Paranoid? Well, after posting his VIN # to a friendly Lotus Forum, a friend had his Lotus Esprit put up for Sale on eBay! We all recognized it right away as possibly being our Friend's Car. We asked him if he was selling his Car. He said he wasn't, checked the eBay listing and then alerted eBay.

By using a proper VIN # and some stock photos, the Seller listed the Car, complete with CarFax, requiring a 15% deposit within 48hrs. of the Auction Close from the Winning Bidder. All the Seller was after was the Deposit money.

An unwitting Buyer would have been out some $3,000 in the form of a Deposit if they had won the Auction. There are other ways to abuse it as well such as getting a Loan on the Car using False ID, etc. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

luxury1 02-13-2006 05:33 AM

I can't believe all of the scams on ebay these days. I would never buy a car out there...

Brucelee 02-13-2006 06:00 AM

Other than when selling your car, I can't see too many reasons why one WOULD post a VIN on a web site or forum.

Seems risky given the nutty things we read about everyday.

Thanks Jim!

BadBoyS 02-13-2006 07:08 AM

Very Scary Great Advice.... :dance:

Jeph 02-13-2006 06:52 PM

You don't have to work to hard to find a VIN. eBay, autotrader, or any parking lot on the planet reveals hundreds of them. As mentioned before, there's not a lot of reasons to post a VIN.

I think it would be of service to give tips in spotting fraudulent auction/item listing than protecting you're vehicle's identity.

For eBay
  • Don't buy a car from some one with a feed back of zero.
  • View the car before you buy it (aviod "immdiate deposits")
  • Never even look at an auction that asks you to contact the seller first at a certain email address. Always use ebay's contact form first.
  • Don't buy a car from a one day auction.
  • Even if everything looks ok, contact the seller any way to establish any kind of communication.
If a theif is scowering message boards for VINs and pix, he's not very efficient.

Rail26 02-13-2006 07:40 PM

Hey Jeph...what's your VIN number?

Jeph 02-13-2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rail26
Hey Jeph...what's your VIN number?

It's 7, I'm pretty sure it's just 7. But with a lot of hard work I may be able to get it up to an 8 or something.

MNBoxster 02-13-2006 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeph
...You don't have to work to hard to find a VIN. eBay, autotrader, or any parking lot on the planet reveals hundreds of them. As mentioned before, there's not a lot of reasons to post a VIN... If a theif(sp) is scowering message boards for VINs and pix, he's not very efficient...

Hi,

Generally sound advice. But, eBay is a very efficient means to find that proverbial One which is Born Every Minute! Considering the Haul to be made from a single misrepresented Car, you don't need to find too many...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Rail26 02-14-2006 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeph
It's 7, I'm pretty sure it's just 7. But with a lot of hard work I may be able to get it up to an 8 or something.

Keep working...one day you will realize your dream. Think 8.