Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

Inexpensive Headlight Options?

I have a 2001 Boxster S and I'm looking to upgrade the headlights, side turn signals and taillights. Do I really need to spend a grand on new headlights!? I really just don't like the yellow/orange look to the turn signals. I guess worst case scenario is just use nite shades on that specific part of the headlight but that might look tacky. Any info would be great, thanks guys.

bnreed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:54 AM   #2

I was looking for a while too and finally chose to live with the orange thingy. I'd be interested in the replies to this thread as well.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #3

Before I got my clear lights I tried a very cheap mod using 50% window mirror tint which took the edge off the orange. I posted a thread here

http://986Forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54151

BoxsterPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #4

I refurbished a set of damaged and oxidized litronic headlights. I ended up buying 3 headlights to have enough pieces to make two good ones. After deducting the money I received for selling my amber headlights, the total cost was about $200. You can read about it here: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html along with the helpful advice I received from forum members.

You might look at car-parts.com and the various Porsche boards to see if you can find someone selling used lights at a decent price. The lights from early 996's also work, so there are quite a few out there. A little bit of work can revive an old set of lights pretty quickly.

I later found some clear side markers. You can see the total transformation here: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55759-de-changed-some-interior-items.html
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:26 AM   #5

Garage
Keep your eyes open for a set of used headlights that need some help. I am amazed at what some here have done to bring back headlights that I thought were lone gone. Lots of great advice on how to polish headlights on the forum.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:34 AM   #6

Garage
I used a matte finish vinyl tint for lights. I only tinted the yellow bits from back and front lights. Not sure what % VLT but I think it is perfect; in direct sunlight is it mostly transparent (no blinker light visibility issues) but out of direct sunlight or low light it hides the yellow even better (and matched the color scheme of my car). Lights are still very visible.

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #7

Garage
Can you post the link to the place you bought the tint from...pls
Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #8

I used headlight tint film over the whole unit and then cut out the headlight.
It looks pretty good on my grey car. I will try and get better shots later.
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnreed3 View Post
I have a 2001 Boxster S and I'm looking to upgrade the headlights, side turn signals and taillights. Do I really need to spend a grand on new headlights!? I really just don't like the yellow/orange look to the turn signals. I guess worst case scenario is just use nite shades on that specific part of the headlight but that might look tacky. Any info would be great, thanks guys.
Keep an eye out on here and on eBay. I find the clear turn signal style headlights for $400 used all the time.
You can also remove the amber portion on yours if you're ambitious.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/51810-our-amber-headlights-can-de-ambered.html
Old 09-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I had a friend who was gonna trade in his 2000S with Litronics for another one, so I convinced him to let me trade my halogens for his Litronics before he turned it in. Free!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote