Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #1

Warm Start Issues, Help!

My 1999 Boxster has started a weird behavior. When the car is warmed up, gage at 180, and I shut it down it will start no problem. If I wait for about a hour or so, allowing the temp gage to show about 150 or less, it will crank but not start. I must wait for it to cool to about 100 to get it to start. Here are the things I've done.
1) MY Duramatic is returning a 1324 code. (camshaft position) so I replaced the cam position sensor.
2) I've performed the electrical tests(from my Bentley) on the Relays in the trunk, checked all fuses etc.
3) I by- passed the relay for the fuel pump and the pump works fine.
4) I've checked for vaccum leaks.
5) I've replaced plugs and coils.
6) I took the MAF off and it didn't make any difference.
7) I cleaned the TB.
How do I check the crankshaft sensor? Could this be the problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mapguy

mapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Since you have durametric software, goto the drivelinks tab and with ignition ON and engine Off and Engine Service cover removed... Click the Check Valve buttons on the durametric drivelinks section and listen in for a clicking sound from just under the driverside of the intake plenium, Theres a check valve theres with 1 electrical connection and 2 vacuum tubes coming from it...

If you dont hear any noise from this check valve, thats most likely the issue, they get gummed up and if you wack it with the head of a screwdriver it'll start clicking while you are running the DriveLinks test but will soon stop making noise cause its just too old and worn.

Its a Oneway Check valve that reliefs vacuum pressure from the fuel tank as fuel is drawn out by the fuel pump. Again, Its located just below the driverside intake plenium and is black in color with 1 hard plastic vacuum line, 1 rubber vacuum line leading to the bottom of the throttle body and 1 electrical connector.

My symptons, while not entirely similar, it could be the issue:
Car would start right up when cold, as engine warmer or more fuel is drawn from the fuel tank and vacuum pressure builds my engine would get alittle shakey and eventually stall the engine.
If i turned the engine off myself before it could stall out (about 20 min after starting) once the engine would turn off, i could hear this honking (like a duck) coming from my engine bay. That sound is the valve finally relieving some vacuum pressure.
However i would have a hell of a time starting her back up after she would stall on her own.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #3

Thanks Carlos for the suggestion. I just finished the test and yes I do hear clicking from the location you noted. When I was there I also tested the fuel relay and it worked. I tried again to start, temp at about 130 on the gage and NO GO! It cranks fine just won't fire. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #4

Update - it now appears that if I restart the car within 7 minutes it will start (regardless of the Temp shown on the gage) but if I wait 10 minutes it will not fire. Please help me out here! Any ideas?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #5

OK - for those of you it may help. It was the crankshaft position sensor, Solved!!
Old 02-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #6

Garage
Similar issue, Intermittent crank/no start

I am sure everybody knows this already, but.....I went onto Pelican looking for a "crankshaft sensor," and pulled up nothing. There, at least according to the picture, it's called an "impulse sender." They apparently don't have any search keyword redirect algorithm.

DanaWDavis is offline   Reply With Quote