986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New here...looking at car on eBay (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50730)

VWAudiChris 02-12-2014 05:32 PM

New here...looking at car on eBay

Hey all I am a vw audi guy and seen porsches forever and always liked them and just came across a booster on ebay which might be a good project for me.

I have worked on vw and audi cars for a decade and am comfortable doing most anything to them. If I picked this porsche up it seems like I could do something pretty cool with it.

What do you all think?

Porsche Boxster Boxster S | eBay

jmatta 02-13-2014 01:30 PM

Pass...nothing left but the shell. You can pick up a Box S with broken motor and be way ahead. The parts to rebuild that car will cost a fortune and you still need a motor, trans, etc.

I'm thinking 3.6 in a motor broken Box for around $15k out of pocket total.

BIGJake111 02-13-2014 01:50 PM

they are asking way too much.. your better off to buy a cheap working 2.5 and build that up.

Burg Boxster 02-13-2014 02:10 PM

Even with the awesome OEM door woofer tuned ports it's still a bit high ;)

Chuck W. 02-13-2014 02:22 PM

Welcome. I agree with the above. Way too much for what you're getting. There are some great deals out there on Boxsters. This isn't one of them.

2001 Boxster S; Original Owner, 23,000 miles. Mods; '03 18" S Wheels, '03 OEM Top with Glass Window , '03 Tail Lights, ‘03 S Exhaust Modified by FD Motorsports, Silver Hood Emblem, Clear Front Side Lights, Red Seat Belts, Red Rear Console, Aluminum E-Brake & Shift Knob, 997 GTS Shift Console, Garage & Gate Switches, Kenwood HD Radio & Navigation, Spoiler Control Switch & Indicator Light, Back-Up Camera, Foot Well Lights, Bird Arm Rest, Steering Wheel Modified by CarDreams.com, Leather Air Bag, & Parrot Bluetooth.

Factory Options; Comfort Package including Seats with electrical height, length and backrest adjustment, left and right; driver's side memory function and adjustable lumbar support, left and right. $2,090, Self-Dimming Mirrors and Rain Sensors $690, Heated Front Seats Package $400, Sports Touring Package including Wind Stop, Sound System, Cruise Control, Alarm System, CD Radio, On-Board Computer $2870; Headlight Washers $225; Wheel Caps with Colored Crest $170; Porsche Stability Management $1215; Xenon Headlights $1070; Black Floor Mats $92; Porsche Crest in Headrest $210; The window sticker was $59,997.

springer123 02-13-2014 02:48 PM

Run don't walk!

rick3000 02-13-2014 02:50 PM

I personally would not buy a car, especially a Porsche on eBay. That one in particular is overpriced. You can get a good condition, clean title running 2.5L for under $10k these days.

What are your goals for the car? If you want a restoration project, Porsche parts are very, very expensive, so it probably is no the best way to go. You could spend the purchase price of the car on just the water seals.

If you want a Spec racer, then I would look for a 2.5L that runs well, since you will tear everything out anyway.

Best! :cheers:

jb92563 02-13-2014 03:03 PM

Its what we refer to as a roller. Body and wheels, nothing more, suitable for building a racer.

If its more than $4k then its overpriced. ...Pass if you dont want to spend 10k more to get a working car worth under $12K.

There are 5K rollers around (not stripped) and 10K working Porsches.

BIGJake111 02-13-2014 03:07 PM

If your making it a track car anyways (at a diffrent time of year) you can get a decent mileage 2.5 for littlery the same price... Do an engine swap for the money it would take for you to just get that one from eBay decent outside of the engine and such

Jamesp 02-13-2014 03:22 PM

Its a a classic example that you better know what you are buying if you are on eBay. Perhaps the worst deal I've seen. I bought a 2003 roller for $3800 that was complete and just needed an engine rebuild. There is no value in the car you are looking at.

ELoomis 02-13-2014 04:05 PM

Here is possibly a better deal if you are looking for a roller. I know nothing about this listing. Just saw it out there.

Porsche Boxter project for trade

dghii 02-13-2014 04:20 PM

+10 on this cast being a bad deal.

To add to the data point above, I've purchased two 98 2.5 5 speed Boxes in the last two and a half years. Both were two owner cars that ran great and everything worked (except power top on one).
I gave $4800 for the one with the top issue and $5400 for the second car.

kjc2050 02-13-2014 05:27 PM

That "car" is worth about $1000, and that may be generous.

Johnny Danger 02-13-2014 06:11 PM

This person can't be serious ? I've seen old wheelbarrows more intact than that wreck.:eek:

husker boxster 02-13-2014 06:13 PM

I agree with the others stating it's BIN price is too expensive. Also, Porsche made quite a few changes in 2003 so their statement about being able to buy parts back to 97 isn't entirely true. For example the headlights, taillights, front and rear facias, and convertible top are different / new for 2003. You'd have to find 03 or 04 parts. This one also has the bikini bottom steering wheel, which is less common than the 4 spoke wheel. Will be harder to find a bikini airbag. Sincs it's an S, you'd need a 3.2 and 6 spd. These are a few of the things you'll be up against trying to rebuild this car. You wouldn't want to mix wrong parts into your restoration if you don't want to be laughed at by other Porsche owners or when you go to sell it. There's a lot of expensive parts missing on this one.

If you're still interested (against all our better judgement) and you can get an address, I'd be willing to go take a look at it since I'm in OMA. You might throw a $1200 bid at them and see what they do. Let me know if you want me to look at it.

Johnny Danger 02-13-2014 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 386497)
I agree with the others stating it's BIN price is too expensive. Also, Porsche made quite a few changes in 2003 so their statement about being able to buy parts back to 97 isn't entirely true. For example the headlights, taillights, front and rear facias, and convertible top are different / new for 2003. You'd have to find 03 or 04 parts. This one also has the bikini bottom steering wheel, which is less common than the 4 spoke wheel. Will be harder to find a bikini airbag. Sincs it's an S, you'd need a 3.2 and 6 spd. These are a few of the things you'll be up against trying to rebuild this car. You wouldn't want to mix wrong parts into your restoration if you don't want to be laughed at by other Porsche owners or when you go to sell it. There's a lot of expensive parts missing on this one.

If you're still interested (against all our better judgement) and you can get an address, I'd be willing to go take a look at it since I'm in OMA. You might throw a $1200 bid at them and see what they do. Let me know if you want me to look at it.

$1200 ? I'd say more like $12.00 !

husker boxster 02-13-2014 06:24 PM

You could eventually get $1200 out of the body panels it has left and wheels.

Those door panels alone should be worth $400!

thstone 02-13-2014 07:49 PM

A blown engine S car with trans and interior is $4K. That car is barely worth $1,000.

By the way, this car can not be built into a standard Spec Boxster race car - the only chassis allowed in that class are the 97-99 base models with the 2.5L engine.

BYprodriver 02-14-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 386497)

3 spoke wheel became standard on 2000 "S" & 2001>& newer

VWAudiChris 02-14-2014 08:38 AM

Ya I thought $7500 for the car was maybe a bit steep, but if it could be had for a few grand I could see some cool stuff to do with it and if your not looking to put it back to stock it being all stripped apart is kinda an advantage.

I seen videos of LS motors in these things and that looks pretty cool!

I mite offer the guy a few grand for it and see what they say since it looks like the car is is fine other then being stripped and Id rather put it back together then deal with a wreck.

Does anyone know who's car this was? Maybe someone on the forum here?