986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Does anyone in the Texas Clear lake area (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50686)

Jamesp 02-09-2014 04:57 PM

Does anyone in the Texas Clear lake area

Have the capability to reset an airbag fault light? I made the mistake of running my box with the drivers side airbag disconnected and now the light wont go out. What's the cost of getting that turned off? I have beer.

Timco 02-09-2014 05:01 PM

I have a wifi style OBDII reader I'll send for free if it will do that. Works with Dash Command but not as reliable as the BT style.

Jamesp 02-09-2014 05:24 PM

Thanks Timco - you rock. If you can determine it will reset the airbag light (most things dont - I'm thinking PWIS equivalent) then I'll take you up on it, and buy you a beer if the opportunity ever presents itself. Wishing you the best!

Lobo1186 02-09-2014 06:36 PM

unless the wifi reader has extra options it will not reset it. I had to bring mine to a dealer to get it reset. Granted my reader was a wired one.

Timco 02-09-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobo1186 (Post 385670)
unless the wifi reader has extra options it will not reset it. I had to bring mine to a dealer to get it reset. Granted my reader was a wired one.

Dash Command has a "read codes" and "clear codes" option, but I don't know if that includes airbag lights.

TxAgs986 02-10-2014 05:28 PM

Let me know who you go to. I called Eurocar Werk and he was very adamant that he won't touch anything to do with airbags. I need the child seat option turned on.

Jason

Mark_T 02-10-2014 07:29 PM

Hey James, give some thought to buying your own Durametric cable. You'll get your money's worth out of it.

Jamesp 02-11-2014 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 385932)
Hey James, give some thought to buying your own Durametric cable. You'll get your money's worth out of it.

How does the durametric work? I've seen it referenced and it appears to be a cable for a PC and software to emulate a PWIS. Is that it or is there more?

Mark_T 02-11-2014 03:45 AM

Here's the link to the Durametric site. tons of info:

Diagnostic Tool for Porsche | Durametric

The enthusiast version (max 3 vins) is all you need and you can often find one here in the buy/sell section with only one vin used up.

What you described is basically it: a cable you hook up between the car and your laptop via usb using their software. It allows you to read and clear CEL's, airbag lights, you can do all kinds of diagnostics, turning things on and off. You can even turn on your onboard computer display if you don't already have it. No Boxster owner should be without one. It's like having a tricorder.