Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #1

Starting My Boxster Research

My first car was a Road Runner. I’ve owned a few hatches, my two seat CRX Si was a blast. But then we had kids. The kids are all grown and out of the house and I’m done paying tuition. Now I want something smaller and more fun to drive. After 25 years of minivans and SUVs a Nissan Sentra will feel like a sports car.

I have been following the new Mustang, and thinking about another Civic Si as well as GTI, and even the GTD if it comes to the states. But I think I’ve found the make and model that I want, a Boxster or Cayman. I even have the green light from my SO.

This site is an amazing resource. After researching here I’m over IMS and RMS worries. It does seem like there are plenty of other maintenance issues though. Smaller maintenance issues and basic maintenance I should be able to handle. I expect to buy tiers and brakes often, Tires on the CRX only lasted 15,000 miles. It’s interesting to note that we still have a low mileage 1998 Camry which has been surprisingly expensive to maintain.

Locally one of my close friends has a 911 and is very involved in the local Porsche club and another has a Cayman and has given me the contact info for his mechanic.

I’m not in a hurry to find a car, I may wait as long as a year. It seems like in my part of the country, the Midwest, there are fewer Boxsters to choose from. It also seems like pricing in deep winter lower than summer, enough to make a significant difference.

So, what do I think I’m looking for;, an ‘01 to maybe an ‘07, with 50,000 to 60,000 miles, preferably with completed 60,000 maintenance. Though I’d still consider a ‘97 to 2,000. Purchase budget from $10.000 to $25,000.

I think I have only one question at this point, who performs the PPI, a Porsche dealer, and Porsche Dealer only, or are others qualified?

This should be fun…

BigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #2

I recently had a PPI done by a dealer on a Porsche 993. They did a fine job, but it wasn't quite as in depth as I'd have liked. I didn't have much say in the matter as to whether the PPI was done by a dealer or an indy shop due to logistical issues with the seller.

That said, indy shops will do a great PPI to provided they know these cars well and are a reputable shop. Their PPIs might be a bit cheaper or more thorough than a dealer, but it is hard to say in generalities.

I had a lot of variation in PPI quotes amongst dealers when I was looking too.

Lastly, I've got a well maintained '99 with 82k miles on it for sale. Check the for sale section of these forums.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #3

Buy the newest S you can find with an owner who cared for the car and has all the maintenance records. If you drive a base and an S you'll see why I would never again buy a non-S Boxster. It's simply underpowered in my not-so-humble-opinion. (no offense to RaisedOnPorsches car for sale!!!)

The 2007 S model is a great car. 3.4 motor, upgraded interior, glass rear window, good power.

I would not buy a 2002 or older car just because the build quality gets worse and worse the older you get, and the 2003's and up had the all-important rear glass window you don't have to get out of the car half way through the dropping process to make sure the plastic is creased just right.

Whatever you do, don't buy a "fixer uper" that someone has abused or ignored or both. It will be the worst experience you've ever had car-wise. I have dumped more money into my car to get it looking good and running well than I want to admit, and it's still a freakin' $8,500 base Boxster. Ugh!

I would get an indy shop that specializes in Porsches to do your PPI. AND I'd get a 4 wheel alignment on the car I'm about to purchase just to make sure it hasn't been wrecked and can't be brought into solid green alignment. These cars experience a lot of subframe damage when they're slammed up against a curb sideways (out of control driving on streets is to blame) and the owners will just change out the rims and sell the car or keep driving it. An alignment is a cheap $100 insurance policy that you didn't buy a real shiny POS... LIKE I DID.

Best of luck on your search. Remain picky and an amazing example will present itself for very little money. I love the Boxster. Incredibly fun to drive, looks great, and is very forgiving on the track.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow View Post

So, what do I think I’m looking for;, an ‘01 to maybe an ‘07, with 50,000 to 60,000 miles, preferably with completed 60,000 maintenance. Though I’d still consider a ‘97 to 2,000. Purchase budget from $10.000 to $25,000.
You're all over the place.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #5

Just got back from looking at two, 2,000 base Boxsters. The first was Silver, the second was Guard Red. I only drive the Red one. Both have about 60,000 on the clock. The dealer with the Silver one offered to let me take it home for a day, I passed. The Silver one just didn't bite me so I just looked and walked. The Odments hinge was busted, tires looked good.

The red one looked pretty nice on the outside. I did test drive this one, not a long drive though. The floor mats looked out of place. They hid a pretty bad carpet stain on the passengers side. Would that be from plugged drains?

I have to admit that I haven't driven a stick for 25 years. I didn't stall or grind gears but I did feel a little nervous at a stop on a hill and I don't think I was too smooth. I don't have enough recent stick time for it to feel good.

Also, I'm 6'2" and well I have big feet. It felt like I didn't have enough foot well or leg room. I checked several times, I did have the seat all the way back. Did I read somewhere that the newer models have more leg room?

@Heliguy: Your right, I'm still trying to figure it out. The low cost of the older models is attractive, but I would expect to spend more bringing it up to snuff. Plus prices on Boxsters seem to be all over the place.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
Get an S new enough to walk away from IMS bearing engine explosions even if you have to stretch. Simple as that.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #7

Sadly buying a new S is not an option for everyone.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #8

So, I've made several attempts to reply three of which did not post. Why did this one make it through the filter?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShow View Post
So, I've made several attempts to reply three of which did not post. Why did this one make it through the filter?
Once every 60 seconds. Otherwise, odd.

I shopped autotrader in Los Angeles and there were dozens and dozens to drive and choose from. Mine showed up the second to last day I was down there. Drove home.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #10

You'll love a base unit, too. S is nice but don't get overly hung up on the S as a must or you will be totally dissatisfied. I think small peni$ types MUST have an S in order to feel adequate, lol (or maybe not). Read some reviews, there are many years and both base and S units get rave reviews from all sorts of experts.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:14 PM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
You'll love a base unit, too. S is nice but don't get overly hung up on the S as a must or you will be totally dissatisfied. I think small peni$ types MUST have an S in order to feel adequate, lol (or maybe not). Read some reviews, there are many years and both base and S units get rave reviews from all sorts of experts.
Small peni$ checking in!

I'd never own a base after owning an S.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 PM   #12

Quote:
They both make great cars, it just depends on what a buyer is looking for. I have had my '99 since new and it is lots of fun to drive, and despite having several cars that are much more powerful, my Boxster doesn't ever disappoint.
2011 BMW 335ix Coupe, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1960 VW Type 1, 1962 VW Type 2 Truck
AP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #13

Check out to see if there is a local PCA chapter in your area, this would be a great place to meet people with Boxsters/Caymans and also cars for sale. It's also a good resource to find out what shops owners in your area are using for service/PPI's. While I focused on an S version you really want to find the cleanest you can within your budget either base or S . They all have the potential for IMS issues up through model year 2008 I believe, the 2009 ( I think ) eliminated the IMS shaft. Find the cleanest you can find, hopefully with good service records/history and get a PPI preferably from an independent shop that knows these cars. While I haven't picked up my 2002 S yet I'm sure it will be a pleasurable ownership for many years to come. Good luck.
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:29 AM   #14

Quote:
The 'S' seems to have better resale value, and has better brakes, better torque... the most sports car available for the price. Has nothing to do with my penis, thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 04:30 AM   #15
recycledsixtie

Garage
I just have to weigh in on this S Box versus non. First off think about what you want it for.
-Are you going to track it, autocross etc? Different classifications for engine size tracking etc.
-An S would be harder to rein in meaning that you have speed limits that can be more easily reached in an S at a faster rate. How much power do you need? For example in terms of fun it is more fun to drive a Miata in a lower speed environment because it is harder to exceed the speed limits and you can rev the engine like crazy. On the same principle that is why I have a 2001 Box base. It would get better mpg than an S and has sufficient power for me. However as the above says an S would have better resale.

Higher mileage examples means more wear and tear. I bought my Box with 30k miles and now has 40k miles. So I have not replaced much of anything. I have added the IMS Guardian, had the CV joints done, new accessory belt, tires, coolant change etc.

Read the thread on this forum 'thinking of buying a Boxster'.

What options do you want? Manual trans. or tiptronic?
Heated seats? etc etc

Ask for receipts for work done/parts purchased.

Dont buy the first one you look at. Try several different cars. Do not be in a hurry.
Get a PPI done on the one you like(indy shop did mine). Watch out for this. Before you start the car, turn the key on without starting the engine and make sure all warning lights light up especially the CEL one. On starting the engine make sure all these lights go off. Basic stuff. Oil leaks are not good. Make sure convert. top goes up and down and the air. cond. works.

Patience is key. Do lots of reading on this forum. Knowledge = $$$$$ saved.
Cheers, Guy.
And yes it is the most fun car I have owned.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:35 AM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

To answer your question, there probably isn't any preference whether the PPI is done by a dealer or an indy, but if indy be sure that they know water cooled Porsche's. Many well known Porsche shops are old time air cooled 911 experts but don't have much experience with the newer water cooled engines.

You'll have to decide what you want, so drive a lot of cars so you understand the differences. Miles don't necessarily mean more maintenance if the car has been properly maintained and even a car that needs a little work can be a great deal - if you're into that kind of thing.

The last thing that I'll suggest is your budget would also allow you to purchase a reasonably nice 996-era 911. I'd highly suggest driving these also as you may find that a 911 will fit your life and driving expectations better than a Boxster or Cayman.

996's are very affordable right now, I bought my 996 for $10K (http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/44227-986-wrecked-got-996-today.html)
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:49 AM   #17
recycledsixtie

Garage
Bigshow. Thstone answered your question better than I did. TMI on my part. Good point Th that a 911 is worth looking at. I tried one and it was a completely different experience. I like the rawness of the Boxster. Somehow the water cooled 911 is smoother. Of course the latter has 4 seats. You should try them both just to make sure. G
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #18

Your price range will reach a Boxster S with a glass rear window easily. I got my o3S with 21k miles on it 2 years ago for 21K dollars. There are interior room differences between the 986 and 987 models, so test drive both for a comfort check if you are a big guy. I can't drive a 987 because my knee hit's the center console (I'm tall). I had to stick with a 986 which has a removable console.

You can't drive either a base or an S anywhere near their limits on the street (if you do you should be locked up) but that said, I do like the extra oomph with the S.

If I was doing it again, I would put aside several thousand of my purchase money (or budget for the near future) to spend on those things you will find you want to do -good tires, upgrades or IMSB perhaps.
dmairspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:03 AM   #19

@rfuerst911sc: There is a local PCA, both of my Porsche owning friends belong, one is very active the other not so much. I may join before I own, though I imagine that its going to be tough keeping up on road trips in my Avalanche
Old 02-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #20

@RawleyD & Timco: There are upsides and down sides to everything. More power, better brakes, better resale, all good upsides. Are there down sides to an S, are part like brakes and shocks more expensive. Is the IMS issue more or less likely on the larger engine, does anyone really know any way?