986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   o2 sensors (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50407)

BTfd2e93 01-20-2014 10:30 PM

o2 sensors

Hey folks,

anyone know which site has the best price for O2 sensors for the 986 boxster base (2001)?

It seems its quite expensive at pelican.

steved0x 01-21-2014 05:20 AM

Amazon :) Get the part numbers from Mike Focke's Boxster pages and then get from Amazon.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/oxygensensors

You have a 2001 so your numbers are:
15182 Oxygen Sensor - OE Type Before Catalyst (Front)
15183 Oxygen Sensor - OE Type After Catalyst (Rear)

If you enter these numbers into Amazon search it will take you right to them. I myself has installed the 15183 just a few weeks ago and it is working like a champ (into a 2000 S)

Steve

Edit: it looks like there is now a generic "exact fit" style aftermarket sensor on there that doesn't require splicing for around $30... Most folks have not had luck with the splicing type aftermarket sensors but this one is no splice.... if it was me I would probably still get the Bosch but Amazon has a really great return policy if you wanted to try those others....

BTfd2e93 01-21-2014 09:10 AM

thanks mate. the wealth of information available on this forum simply blows my mind.

Thanks again .... i just ordered 2 x front + 2 x rear o2 sensors .... must have saved like 200$ off .. as compared to getting them from pelican.

san rensho 01-21-2014 11:25 AM

Why are you replacing the O2s? Many people needlessly replace them because they mis-interpret fault codes.

BTfd2e93 01-21-2014 06:19 PM

good question! @ san rensho

i got O2 sensor malfunction codes on my car recently.

since its expensive & not readily available in HK (where im located) .... i decided to get them first.

any other smoking gun symptoms I should be looking out for?

Burg Boxster 01-22-2014 06:25 AM

More than one sensor going at a time is highly unlikely (unless getting fouled by something upstream).

The fault codes associated w/ O2 sensors don't mean sensor is bad but rather the value being reported by them is outside of spec. Sure it could me sensor itself is bad but more than likely it means there is another problem up stream... and doubly so when more than one goes at a time.

What codes are you getting? And more importantly, what work was recently done?

With a multi-meter you can easily test each sensor to see if it's truly dead.

Good luck :)

JFP in PA 01-22-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTfd2e93 (Post 382351)
good question! @ san rensho

i got O2 sensor malfunction codes on my car recently.

since its expensive & not readily available in HK (where im located) .... i decided to get them first.

any other smoking gun symptoms I should be looking out for?

What codes? Many people misread codes and conclude they need to replace expensive parts unnecessarily..............

BTfd2e93 01-22-2014 07:58 AM

The reading I got was no signal detected from the o2 sensor on bank one.

I forgot the actual obd code. Since it said no signal detected I assumed the sensor itself was faulty.

As i understand it should be in a constant state of fluctuation rather than flat 0?

Maybe I jumped the gun on this one.

2 months ago I had the tranny out Co's the seal / ring right at the from of the gearbox (I don't know the official part name) broke.

I guess it's possible when the cats and exhaust was taken off ...something might have gotten loose.

JFP in PA 01-22-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTfd2e93 (Post 382429)
The reading I got was no signal detected from the o2 sensor on bank one.

I forgot the actual obd code. Since it said no signal detected I assumed the sensor itself was faulty.
As i understand it should be in a constant state of fluctuation rather than flat 0?

Maybe I jumped the gun on this one.

2 months ago I had the tranny out Co's the seal / ring right at the from of the gearbox (I don't know the official part name) broke.

I guess it's possible when the cats and exhaust was taken off ...something might have gotten loose.

Bad assumption, it could easily be a wiring problem left over from the previous work. You need to check voltages and harness continuity for both the sensor and its heater before even thinking about replacing them. I'd bet there is nothing wrong with the ones in the car...............

BTfd2e93 01-22-2014 05:07 PM

thanks folks.

i guess i have a set as spare :) ... itll be worth it cos i wont have to dig around and wait (for a week shipping) for them when i do finally need them!

i reset the logged code, and it didnt come back. Im going to monitor it a couple more days. I'll also check the voltages & connections next week when I install my new fabspeed exhaust ... cant wait!