Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 04:13 AM   #1

Boxster soft top wont open

I undo the latch the windows drop down the parking light is on but the open top dash light does not come on so therefore the top will not respond to the switch.
Any help much appreciated.

bob567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #2

Here's a link to a comprehensive list of articles on the top:

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

Here is a post on Renntech that touches on various problems:
soft top stuck down clamshell wont open - 986 Boxster Top Issues and Solutions - RennTech.org Forums

The first steps I would take would be to check the fuses and the relay associated with the top. The fuse block cover has a diagram of the fuses and the top relay is the one that is twice as large as the others.

The next possibility I would check is the parking brake micro switch. Since your parking light is on, that may rule that out, but search the posts and see exactly what symptoms are associated with that problem.

Also, please post the model year of your car since the earlier cars had different components in the top and that might help someone to narrow the range of possible causes.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 01-11-2014 at 06:27 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob567 View Post
I undo the latch the windows drop down the parking light is on but the open top dash light does not come on so therefore the top will not respond to the switch.
Any help much appreciated.
The latch microswitch is working because the windows drop when the latch is open.
The hand brake microswitch is working because the PARK light is on.
The top's dash light will not come on until you press the button to the open position.
If you press the top's main switch and nothing happens you may have a bad main switch.
There's a second micrositch within the latch aside from the window's microswitch.
Press in and out with your finger to make sure it's not lodged in. also try pulling out a bit if it's stuck in.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 01-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try them and let you know how I got on

bob567 is offline   Reply With Quote