986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Crankshaft Pulley Noise (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50241)

talvez 01-10-2014 08:52 PM

Crankshaft Pulley Noise

Hey you guys I have searched for a topic on this but I havent found one that really talks about this.

I have a noise coming from the Crankshaft Pulley. I have the belt off and its definately coming from that area. Sound increases with RPM and is more noticeable when hot. The pulley isnt loose and has no play in it as far as I can tell. Could the noise be coming from a problem forming in the crankshaft? Or are there other reasons why the crankshaft pulley can be making noise?

thanks

Nine8Six 01-10-2014 10:13 PM

Try a search on tensioner pulley failure and see if you can reproduce your issues. The bearing on those can come apart (I've heard)

Steve Tinker 01-10-2014 11:32 PM

He's already removed the belt so the pulley(s) are out of the equation.....

talvez - is the CEL on or are there any codes being thrown?

Jake Raby 01-11-2014 04:27 AM

Is it a squealing sound/ high pitched? Does it change in pitch and volume with throttle changes?

You are more than likely seeing a symptom of another issue that few people get to experience.

JFP in PA 01-11-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 380447)
Is it a squealing sound/ high pitched? Does it change in pitch and volume with throttle changes?

You are more than likely seeing a symptom of another issue that few people get to experience.

Crankshaft thrust bearing failure or "fallout"?

http://www.flat6innovations.com/imag...ssembly/11.JPG

Steve Tinker 01-11-2014 01:25 PM

Are those grooves on the bearing carrier caused by crankshaft end float?
If so, thats an awfull lot of movement - what happened to the thrust bearing, ground to dust I assume.....

JFP in PA 01-11-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 380527)
Are those grooves on the bearing carrier caused by crankshaft end float?
If so, thats an awfull lot of movement - what happened to the thrust bearing, ground to dust I assume.....

That is a brand new thrust washer, the grooves are oil passages. From time to time, these things literally drop out of the slot they fit in, and fall into the sump. When that happens, the crank starts moving forward and back, which is not good. And there is no way to replace these things without pulling the engine apart........

jcb986 01-11-2014 03:50 PM

Had the same noise, sounds like squeal. Then it's your AOS going. What is happening is the AOS is sucking air around the front crankshaft seal. I also checked and tried to remove the oil filler cap when mine was squealing and could not. Replaced the AOS and end of problem. And the engine never blew smoke when it was failing.

talvez 01-11-2014 05:54 PM

thanks for all your replies you guys.

I have no CEL and I couldnt pick up anything unusual with durametric program.

With the AOS its not a constant sucking sound or squeel. I also changed the AOS about 12k ago and just changed the oil cap seal my last oil change about 300 miles ago. So i dont think its related to that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 380447)

The pitch is high pitched and does change in volume with throttle changes. Maybe a little higher pitch on acceleration but may be due to the noise repeating more quickly. If I could describe the sound... its almost like a ball in the bearing has gotten loose and causing a speed wobble with a slight metalic sound to it. Tomorrow I will try and get a recording of the sound but it always hard to tell on the internet. Oh, and I feel very privileged to experience this problem hahaha :/

Are there any signs to point to a crankshaft thrust bearing failure? How can I test it? I wonder how much that would be to replace? :/

thanks

epapp 06-14-2014 10:37 AM

Has there been an update to this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk