986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   error codes - important or not ? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50210)

rossa123 01-08-2014 02:36 AM

error codes - important or not ?

Hi - I currently have two error codes on my 2001 Boxster and wanted to know in simple terms what they mean and is it necessary to have the car "fixed" - also if anyone knows what the "fix" procedure is.

the codes are P1128 Oxygen sensing adaptation area (cylinders 1-3) rich
P1130 Oxygen sensing adaptation area (cylinders 4-6) rich

Thanks for any help

fullthrottle52 01-08-2014 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rossa123 (Post 380022)
Hi - I currently have two error codes on my 2001 Boxster and wanted to know in simple terms what they mean and is it necessary to have the car "fixed" - also if anyone knows what the "fix" procedure is.

the codes are P1128 Oxygen sensing adaptation area (cylinders 1-3) rich
P1130 Oxygen sensing adaptation area (cylinders 4-6) rich

Thanks for any help

Do a search and you will see many threads on these error codes. Yes, you should have these codes/problems looked at and resolved.

kk2002s 01-08-2014 05:10 AM

Yes you need to address. I suspect there can be a variety of issues that generate these.
For me it was a vacuum leak between AOS and Throttle body.
I'm thinking because both generate it is a central issue before a specific Bank but after the MAF
The o2 sensors after the MAF and what the MAF is reading are out of sync (Potentially a vacuum leak introducing intake air after the MAF)
Could be the MAF as well

Topless 01-08-2014 05:58 AM

Your car is running lean and this may damage the engine over time which can get very expensive. As said earlier, the most common causes are a failed MAF or intake air leak. Time to dig in and do some diagnostic work to find the problem. Lots of threads on these codes as it is a fairly common problem on a 10+ yr old car.

haz 01-08-2014 10:40 AM

Let your local Porsche Center / Indy shop diagnose the car and have it fixed. There is no other option if you want to take care of your car. You should not have it "fixed", you have to get it fixed. K? :)

san rensho 01-08-2014 02:30 PM

Hook it up to a Durametric (or possibly other readers.) If the MAF reading is significantly below 15 kg/hr, then almost positive its a vacuum leak. Another cause of vacuum leaks is a fault in the evap system (something I am chasing down now) or a broken oil filler tube.

If the MAF readings are near 15, then it could be a bad MAF sensor, or fuel delivery problems, e.g. fuel pump, pressure regulator etc.