Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #1

Convertible top stopped working

This afternoon, i installed some new sun visors and let the top down just a lil bit to replace the hinges. After I installed them, i tried to let the top back up and it seemed like the lift motor was dying down so i stopped and checked it out. Now all i get is a clicking sound and the interior lights go dim as if some power is being drained when I press the convertible switch. Any idea on what this is? All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!

legion15bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #2

Sounds like your battery is dead and needs recharging. Have you tried switching on the headlights - if they go on full brights OK, then you have a problem with your top.

If you have a multimeter, check the voltage at the battery terminals - you should get 12.6v for a fully charged battery. Anything less than 12.2v it needs recharging.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #3

Yea lights come on and it starts up fine. If the top motor went out, what would it sound like or would it even make a sound?
legion15bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #4

Garage
Might be something jammed up back there too. If the motor is pushing the linkages and something jams it up, it will sound like it is dying and then just give up. (I know. It happened to me.) I'm waiting until summer to really dig up the problem, but with a cursory glance, it looks like one of the linkages broke and jammed it up
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:33 AM   #5

Any resolution to your problem? I'm having the same trouble.

deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote