986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Torin Big Red Alum. Race Jack - DIY repair? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50033)

RandallNeighbour 12-26-2013 11:58 AM

Torin Big Red Alum. Race Jack - DIY repair?

My previously-dependable aluminum jack will no longer function and I'm wondering if I can service or repair it myself. I see a couple of flathead screw top covers on it and wonder if I may be low on hydraulic fluid.

Anyone fiddle with one of these? I can't even find an owner's manual or instructions on the web, but I'm going to keep looking...

JFP in PA 12-26-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 378360)
My previously-dependable aluminum jack will no longer function and I'm wondering if I can service or repair it myself. I see a couple of flathead screw top covers on it and wonder if I may be low on hydraulic fluid.

Anyone fiddle with one of these? I can't even find an owner's manual or instructions on the web, but I'm going to keep looking...

First check to see if it is low on hydraulic oil, if it is, simply top it up with the correct type of oil. If that is not the problem, or does not correct it, it probably has lost a seal or check valve. It can quickly and cheaply be fixed by a nearby shop that specialize is hydraulic device repairs. We have sent out equipment that was 30 years old when it started to leak or stopped working, and got them back literally better than new for very low cost.

coreseller 12-26-2013 12:57 PM

I went through this about a year back, instead of screwing around with it I just bought a new Arcan 3.5 ton jack from Costco for ~ $120. For me it was worth it for the saved time and aggravation of pulling it apart (mine had popped a seal) and finding the seals or a shop to deal with it.

Arcan Quick Lift Professional Service Jack - 3 1/2-Ton, Model# XL35 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Jake Raby 12-26-2013 03:41 PM

These are bad about blowing seals.. Both of mine blew seals.

dan.oneufer 12-26-2013 04:19 PM

Head over to the Garage Journal for good advice about rebuilding: See Hydraulic Jack Rebuild Common Questions and Answers. - The Garage Journal Board

Bobiam 12-28-2013 03:32 PM

A few yrs ago I destroyed the hyd plunger, etc. Mine is a Torin blue 1.5 ton model. The roller on the handle rolled half off of the plunger. I got the mfg to replace the failed parts, but in the mean time they scolded me for approaching the rated capacity. Basically said that the rating is a joke!!! I do lift one entire side of the Boxster with it. That ain't no 3000 pounds unless the Boxster is a 6000 pound car!!!!!

Next time it breaks, out it goes.

Bobiam 12-28-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 378404)
These are bad about blowing seals.. Both of mine blew seals.

Speaking of blowing seals, has everyone seen the monkeys in the bar on YouTube??? Google "monkey in a bar joke".

Couldn't be funnier.

Jake Raby 12-28-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobiam (Post 378578)
A few yrs ago I destroyed the hyd plunger, etc. Mine is a Torin blue 1.5 ton model. The roller on the handle rolled half off of the plunger. I got the mfg to replace the failed parts, but in the mean time they scolded me for approaching the rated capacity. Basically said that the rating is a joke!!! I do lift one entire side of the Boxster with it. That ain't no 3000 pounds unless the Boxster is a 6000 pound car!!!!!

Next time it breaks, out it goes.

Yeah. Mine blew lifting 1/2 of a 914 race car that weighed 2020#

RandallNeighbour 12-28-2013 06:50 PM

Oddly enough Pittsburg (Harbor Frieght rebrand) sells the same Torino jack for $69 with a coupon...

RandallNeighbour 12-28-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobiam (Post 378579)
Speaking of blowing seals, has everyone seen the monkeys in the bar on YouTube??? Google "monkey in a bar joke".

Couldn't be funnier.

Is that the one with the cue ball?