Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #1

Heater Issue Diagnosis

I have a 1998 2.5L Tiptronic Boxster w/ Auto climate control

The problem:

-Not a huge issue for me in Florida, but my heater does not blow hot air. It is the only thing not working on the car right now so I would like to fix it.

What I've done:

-Checked the two hoses to the heater core when the car was at operating temp and found that they were warm/hot.
-Found no coolant leak from heater core (carpet is fine inside and no smell)
-Remembered that I had some foam flakes that occurred for a short period coming from my a/c vents about a year ago
-Looked under passenger side dash and watched the servos and arms function the flaps. the pink one moves with temperature adjustments and the green one moves when switching from colder to hotter temps.
-Noticed a clicking noise that lasts for about 6 clicks when turning a/c from ofF to on coming from the area of the arms.
-Used the hidden diagnostic menu to that the temperature mix flap command on Hi temp setting was 100 and that the Temperature mix flap position was at 84.
-Recharged A/C and that has been working perfectly for about 6 months. Still ice cold.

I think after those steps I have it narrowed down to the foam on the flap disintegrating. The only thing that concerned me is the variance between the command and position on the mix flap diagnostics. Also the fact that the A/C doesn't seem to be affected by the foam disintegration and is still very cold on 90 degree days.

What do you guys think could be the issue here?

BrandonJames89 is offline   Reply With Quote