Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #1

My Boxster Story

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself and tell my story, I meant to make this my first post but that didn't really work out.

I've been lurking for some time. I bought my first Porsche in January of 2012. A 2000 Biarritz White Boxster, 2.7L with Manual Trans. It was base as base could get. No options whatsoever. I bought it for a steal at $8700 OTD. 78,000 miles and a freshly painted front bumper.

I did all the little things and a few big ones.

Air filter, brake pads, front motor mount, spark plugs, dash speakers, head unit, custom seat covers the list goes on. 101 Things to Do to Your Boxster was always by my side, as well as my phone with this forum pulled up.

I enjoyed the car, but had an issue with the Crankshaft Position Sensor, and after trying 3 or 4 times I just couldn't get to the sensor to replace it and I had other issues to deal with. I was getting a divorce and my time was wrapped up in that. The same day I got divorced the unthinkable happened...

I was hit by someone with no insurance. He made a left hand turn in front of me like I wasn't even there. The car was totaled by my insurance. It almost wasn't covered at all, it took 4 weeks of calls and arguing to get my car covered.

Since I paid far less than what the car was worth initially I actually made out better than I thought. I went out on the hunt for a replacement Boxster. A month later I found a 1999 Black Boxster, with 31,000 miles. My current ride, manual trans with all the options I could want. 1 owner, clean title, not a single accident. Gorgeous...

I owned it for 22 hours when this happened in my parking lot at work...

It took 4 weeks to get all the necessary parts damaged, but it was fixed perfectly. A few weeks later we had near freezing temperatures and my plastic back window cracked.

I just replaced the top with the glass back window from AutoTopsDirect.com and it is absolutely gorgeous and a huge improvement. I want to thank everyone who posts on this forum and shares their experiences and projects. I'll try my best to update you all on my progress with my 99 and look forward to making this one my own.

driftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #2

Garage
Oh man, don' t ever want to take you along as a passenger! j/k

Glad things are working out, new car looks great! (:
scottvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #3

Hahaha, thanks! Funny thing I forgot to mention, when the Black Box was hit in my work parking lot, I wasn't even sitting in the car. I walked out the door to see it pushed forward 3 feet by a Ram dually with a giant grill. My heart sank...
Old 12-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftguy View Post
Hahaha, thanks! Funny thing I forgot to mention, when the Black Box was hit in my work parking lot, I wasn't even sitting in the car. I walked out the door to see it pushed forward 3 feet by a Ram dually with a giant grill. My heart sank...
The real question now is..................was it in gear?????
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #5

Timco, it was not! Very lucky of me as it usually is, I'd say a good 90% of the time.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftguy View Post
Timco, it was not! Very lucky of me as it usually is, I'd say a good 90% of the time.
Ha ha! Great! Recent thread. Lots of opinions. I never leave the car with it out of gear. My dad got me into this habit. Stuck ever since.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #7

Garage
What's the saying? If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all! Hope things get better from here on out
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #8

Wish you all the best with the black beauty!

Last edited by woodsman; 12-22-2013 at 11:57 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote