Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

Detective Work and Major Maintenance

Just a reminder for everyone to do their detective work when they get their new cars. My new car had all of the records from 0 to 110,000 miles, and seemed to be in amazing condition. The only record that I could not find was the last Major Maintenance. From what I could tell this was due at 105,000 miles. So this afternoon I sat down with all the records from the maintenance manual and also Carfax to see if I could find that 105,000 Major Maintenance. I had no luck, but the last few records in the Carfax did not indicate what the service was all it said was the dreaded "Vehicle serviced." However I did have the name and phone number of all the mechanic shops, so i called every one and asked what had been done on the car. Turns out that no Major Maintenance had been done, but a Porsche specialty shop had done the IMS bearing!!:dance: I hope my luck reminds everyone to make sure to do ALL of their detective work with their new vehicle.

However this does raise a couple of related questions, dealer service vs independent Porsche mechanic? I still need my Major Maintenance.

Porsche Dealer

Pros
- Trusted service
- More thorough inspection
- Porsche trained technicians that work on Porsche's 95% of the time
- They would be replacing many of the parts vs that the mechanic would just be inspecting

cons
- More expensive about $1,200 vs $850

Im leaning toward the dealer just because the service seems to be a little over due. After the Major Maintenance I would go back to myself doing as much work as possible on the car.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why they would not pick the Porsche dealer. (Porsche of Livermore).

Thanks again,

Old 12-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
I have had my 2001 base Box for 2.5 years and all I buy at the Porsche dealer is parts. I go to my indy garage because I have established a good relationship with them and they do good work. The indy shop is not cheap and I would think that the Porsche stealership is not cheap either.

What is important is to get a referral for wherever you go. Check online ratings of these repair shops. At my indy shop I asked if I could take a quick look when they replaced my imsb. The manager said no problem. I have never had it done and if they said no then I would be looking elsewhere to get the work done.

Cheers, G.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #3

Garage
Welcome to the forum & good 1st post. My Box has 105,K miles on it but I don't know what is recommended at that service since I do all the work on my car, usually before it is recommended. Don't want to send you away from this forum, but you should go to Rennlist.com forum & post in the Box forum there. You will get a response from Macster who lives in Livermore & has 257,K miles on his Box. He swears by dealer service but see if he can recommend a local independant. Tell him I sent you if you like.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

Thanks for the info! 250k+ miles is amazing! I will differently take a look over there and see what he has to say.

Thanks,