Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

Garage
SAI doing something weird

I know the SAI pump is supposed to come on for 30 or so seconds on a cold start, which mine does, and then shuts off. However if I drive for a few blocks after the pump initially shuts off, and come to a stop light (idling for more than 15 seconds or so, coolant still <100F), the pump will turn on for about 3 seconds and then shut off. Is this normal? The pump won't come on again, even if I were to stop just another block away and let it idle.

I hope my SAI ports aren't as dirty as that guy in the sea foam threads are

epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #2

I just noticed that mine does the same, but for more than 3 seconds I would estimate. I have been having the SAI errors (I reset in weekly) for months. The last few time the errors have come back it has occurred on that "second" pump turn on and not on initial start up. I can hear the pump running on startup.
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

Garage
I don't have any CELs, what is the code you get?
Old 12-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #4

Garage
the second time my pump turns on, I can hear it spin up and and the engine rpms raise just a little, then it shuts down just as it finishes spinning up. Never comes on again like that during a single drive. For all I know, the pump is normally turning on again but I just don't notice because I'm not stopped and idling (sometimes I hit the stoplight right out front of my apt and its red, sometimes its green)
Old 12-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #5

Garage
Actually, if I let the pump shutoff after its initial 30 second run, and start driving WITHOUT coming to an idle, It won't do it to my knowledge, (the pump could be coming on while driving and I can't hear it though). If the car warms up BEFORE I ever come to an idle again, then the pump won't come on when I finally do stop. I only notice the pump coming on again when I come to a stop AND the car is still cold (<120), and it stays on for <3 seconds. If I come to a stop again while the car is still cold, the pump WONT turn on.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
I know the SAI pump is supposed to come on for 30 or so seconds on a cold start, which mine does, and then shuts off. However if I drive for a few blocks after the pump initially shuts off, and come to a stop light (idling for more than 15 seconds or so, coolant still <100F), the pump will turn on for about 3 seconds and then shut off. Is this normal? The pump won't come on again, even if I were to stop just another block away and let it idle.

I hope my SAI ports aren't as dirty as that guy in the sea foam threads are
That guy?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #7

Garage
Meh grammar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #8

I'm getting the standard 0410 and 1411 (from memory, I think those are the right ones). I expect that you have just discovered some interesting logic on when the pump is activation, that is likely documented somewhere...

runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote