986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Has Anyone Here Owned a 928? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49792)

coreseller 12-08-2013 04:30 PM

Has Anyone Here Owned a 928?

For whatever reason (JD says I have a Risky Business / Tom Cruise fetish) I can't stop watching / looking up the FS ads and find myself browsing their forums regularly. My Question:

Have any of you guys ever owned a Porsche 928? If so what year, miles, mods and your general thoughts?

P.S. PLEASE do not respond explaining to me what you've heard about them, your neighbor's tales of woe nor your cousin Guido's sexual conquests with them. I too have heard all the stories regarding their "issues", just looking for some direct experience.

P.S. P.S. I have been lurking in their forums as mentioned above, great guys but far from objective so IMO pointless to ask them.

trimer 12-08-2013 04:43 PM

Funny I've been looking over the past few days on FS ads on the 928s as well!

coreseller 12-08-2013 04:49 PM

Yeah, I've talked to 3 guys about theirs that are for sale in the past 2 weeks. From what I've gathered, service history is paramount. I am looking for an S4 with low miles and proof of upkeep, prefer a stick but an auto would be fine too (which then presents potential thrust bearing issues).

Johnny Danger 12-08-2013 06:41 PM

Did you try contacting Tom Cruise on Twitter ?

coreseller 12-09-2013 02:18 AM

Couldn't get past the Scientology / Dianetics debate. Apparently he's a 993 fan also:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...psc375d25d.jpg

deptotpr 12-09-2013 03:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I did. Your right about the 928 Forum, the best Porsche fanatics of all.
Rennlist Discussion Forums

They are very expensive to maintain, and mechanics are not common place, but a very unique car, and definitely made before their time. Lots of electronic issues, and oil blowback problems and leaks. The picture is my old 1978, and was always asked if that was the new Porsche?

coreseller 12-09-2013 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deptotpr (Post 375690)
Yes, I did. Your right about the 928 Forum, the best Porsche fanatics of all.
Rennlist Discussion Forums

They are very expensive to maintain, and mechanics are not common place, but a very unique car, and definitely made before their time. Lots of electronic issues, and oil blowback problems and leaks. The picture is my old 1978, and was always asked if that was the new Porsche?

Beautiful Car!! I'm finding the more I lurk, the more skeptical I become on these beauties.

And you're correct on the Rennlist Forum for 928's, great bunch of guys very willing to help out BUT MAAAAANNNN there seem to be a crap-ton of issues with all manners of things on those cars. Like any forum section dedicated to a model those guys are blindly in love and smitten which is why I don't ask them directly. Probably just one of the classic cases of a very complex car getting old.

Eric G 12-09-2013 05:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, had one for many years. Biggest problem with the car is you usually run out of road before you run out of throttle! The 928 forum is fantastic and the amount of support you can find for the 928 is close to what you can find for the Boxster.

evomind 12-09-2013 09:01 AM

My dad had one and I drove it a lot when I was in college. It was an 81 non S, automatic.
He didn't have many problems at all way back then. He bought it in 85 or 86 and had it for abt 3-4 years. The only thing I remember having fixed was a water pump.
Nice car, but if it was mine I would at least get the stick and the S model. Its more of a "GT" car than a true sports car.

dbansal 12-09-2013 09:40 AM

they look terrible... why bother?

trimer 12-09-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbansal (Post 375727)

BOOOOOOOOOO.

Just kidding - But I really love the look myself.

coreseller 12-09-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Exactly the sort of well thought out coherent comment I was hoping for. Thanks for your incredible insight. :rolleyes:

Adding another to the ignore list..........

Last930 12-09-2013 10:30 AM

I owned an '86S automatic some years ago and loved the car. It was a gas to drive; a good combination of performance and luxury. Looked great and felt solid as a brick. Not what you'd call nimble because of the weight, but handled respectably with lots of power. However, it cost me an arm and a leg to maintain. At the time I owned it there was a Porsche dealer a block away from my office; I'd drop it off in the morning on the way to work and then hoof it back over at the end of the day to get it. The convenience made the maint. expense acceptable at the time; when the dealer relocated 5 miles away I sold the car. I'd still like to have another....

RawleyD 12-09-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Agreed. Not a big fan of this style.

You going to put me on ignore as well for having a different viewpoint as yours too, OP?

coreseller 12-09-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RawleyD (Post 375741)
Agreed. Not a big fan of this style.

You going to put me on ignore as well for having a different viewpoint as yours too, OP?

Done, my loss I'm sure.

evomind 12-09-2013 12:07 PM

Ok, we have 2 ppl who made slightly rude comments and 1 person who is a little too sensitive.

The 928 is a nice highway car. It will cruise all day long comfortably and smoothly at high speeds.
The steering is quick and the feel is good, but it doesn't handle like the smaller Porsches.
It is still a unique car and slightly "iconish."

woodsman 12-09-2013 12:14 PM

Truly decades ahead of it's time. If I had the money...

The Radium King 12-09-2013 12:36 PM

zoom!

928 Motorsports - From Road to Race, 928 Performance is 928 Motorsports®

coreseller 12-09-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evomind (Post 375747)
Ok, we have 2 ppl who made slightly rude comments and 1 person who is a little too sensitive.

The 928 is a nice highway car. It will cruise all day long comfortably and smoothly at high speeds.
The steering is quick and the feel is good, but it doesn't handle like the smaller Porsches.
It is still a unique car and slightly "iconish."

Not really that sensitive, I'd say it's my general intolerance of those unable to read. Please refer to the initial post, apparently even Bold Text doesn't help some.

That will fire them up lol.......................:matchup:

evomind 12-09-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coreseller (Post 375753)
Not really that sensitive, I'd say it's my general intolerance of those unable to read. Please refer to the initial post, apparently even Bold Text doesn't help some.

That will fire them up lol.......................:matchup:

WEll I hate to tell ya......
I reread your post and read your bold text especially careful.
You made no mention to people that they should refrain on their opinions of the cars aesthetics. I would have found their comments ruder if you were posting a picture of YOUR 928 and they said that.
I wouldn't let them bother you. If you put people on the ignore list that easy you will run out of people.
:D

Let us know how the 928 search goes