Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #1

Question HELP... Wet upper frunk??

Ever since I bought the car this past March I've noticed whenever it rained hard, my frunk will be a little wet, and I tried to pin point the leak with no luck. The last time it rained was 6 days ago with almost 2" of rain in one day. Today I open the frunk just to see if there is any water and this is what I discovered (I removed the battery cover before taking the pictures).

The car is parked outdoor with an outdoor custom fit car cover (Covercraft Evolution), but water can still go through. For some reason the water is going passed the upper frunk seal. I did clean out the drains by the battery when I first bought the car thinking that would solve this issue but obviously not. The frunk seal looks good with no rips. The water condensates/splashes are only in the upper center section near the radio amp. Anyone had experienced this or has any insight on what could cause this leak? Thanks!

Old 12-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
M31

Garage
I also have the Covercraft Evolution cover on mine and have noticed after a couple days of rain when I finally remove the cover after it has dried on a sunny day the front windshield is all smudgy as well as some minor condensation on the inside of the frunk lid in the same area as yours. I have always suspected it is the cover causing this as all that moisture trapped underneath the cover is being heated up by the sun before it can be evaporated. I don't have this problem without the cover on.
M31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #3

Are you putting the wet (or damp) cover into the frunk by chance? Some water from it might be evaporating and the condensing on the trunk lid.

Another possibly stupid suggestion is make sure the trunk seal is installed correctly. I know with older Porsches it is possibly to erroneously install the trunk seals upside down.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #4

Check the drain holes on both sides of the battery. Mine were clogged.
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #5

Covering a car in a warm climate with rain setting outside invites moisture to accumulate and that's why I will not use a full cover, just Pop Top which covers the roof and windows and it's made of Tyke. Now, if you really want to locate the issue, get into the trunk with a good light. Have your buddy shut you in and then have him flood the front with water for a period of time. You should see the problem then.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedbacks! Mine not only have those pictured water condensates but also the frunk floor has some water on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post
Are you putting the wet (or damp) cover into the frunk by chance? Some water from it might be evaporating and the condensing on the trunk lid.

Another possibly stupid suggestion is make sure the trunk seal is installed correctly. I know with older Porsches it is possibly to erroneously install the trunk seals upside down.
No, I never put the cover in the frunk. Based from my pictures can you tell me if the frunk seal is installed correctly? (little breather pin holes facing inside the frunk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mump View Post
Check the drain holes on both sides of the battery. Mine were clogged.
All drain holes are clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb986 View Post
Covering a car in a warm climate with rain setting outside invites moisture to accumulate and that's why I will not use a full cover, just Pop Top which covers the roof and windows and it's made of Tyke. Now, if you really want to locate the issue, get into the trunk with a good light. Have your buddy shut you in and then have him flood the front with water for a period of time. You should see the problem then.
I think my cover is breathable hence the water can get through it. I hate to get closed up in the frunk but I may have to for troubleshooting.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Put your phone or a wide-angle video camera in there, close the frunk, and shine a bright light all around the perimeter. That may show you something...
Or, just video small sections at a time for more video resolution. If you have a bad seal, this may help reveal it.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Is it just me or is there an open hole in the bulkhead to the left (car's right) of the amplifier?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #9

Garage
there is a drain hole to the right of the battery, if you have the hood open and standing looking at the battery. its under the brake bellows mine was clogged and caused water to get into the power brake booster, I have a 99. that picture looks like condensation.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #10

Garage
deserion I see what you mean its not just you.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #11

The condensation is coming from water already in the trunk, drunk, bonnet. It is trying to evaporate. Did you spill anything or not shut it completely...just curious.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #12

After the heavy rain we had yesterday and the Frunk stayed bone dry, now I can confirm I've solved the leaking issue. It's due to one of the plug in the front which was only partially pushed in (first picture). Simply push it in fully and put some silicone around the hole had solved the problem. :dance: