Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Boxster 98 squeeky sound! Need help

Hi all, does anyone knws wt's this squeeky sound producing from my car? Hope its not an IMS failure advice needed !! thanx all

Part 1 (start up) 98 boxster start up squeeky sound - YouTube

Part 2 (after start up for few mins) 98 boxster after start up squeeky sound part 2 - YouTube

Part 3 (random metal scratching noise from rear) Metal squeeky sound coming from rear randomly - YouTube

Hope anyone here could kindly help and benefit owners who have the same problem as me !! thanx so much

megapat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Timing belt idlers?
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
jakesbox

That certainly is a strange noise, especially the last video. Have you done any work on the car at all? taken the tires off...moved anything on the back end, fiddled with anything at all or only driven it?

I am not sure what an IMS would sound like failing but I would bet it doesnt sound like that. I was told marbles rattling in a metal bucket is what it sounds like. that sounds like metal on metal rubbing or something like that. I know some people have had some strange noises from the way weights were put on rims after a tire change - too close to the edge of the rim and it can rub as it goes around...but two of your videos the car was stationary.

I have also heard of people having a squealing noise when their spark plugs were loose...

I had a bad squeak noise but it was upon take off and under load and it was my exhaust rubbing - on my 02 boxster but that was after I changed to the fabspeed exhaust and they needed to cut some of the heat shield away.

Could be a million things though.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
The Legend

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the IMS bearing failures tend to be silent -- until its too late.

In terms of video one, squeaks are sometimes caused by the pulleys. I'm no expert but try running the engine without the Serpentine belt. If the squeaking continues you've ruled out anything belt driven (Water pump, AC, PS pump). If it stops, the source of the squeak is one of the pulleys.
boxslrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Porsche

please keep this one going. I am having that same type of sound as video one, but its only upon take off in first gear, for a few seconds, then quits once im going.
Speedy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2000 View Post
please keep this one going. I am having that same type of sound as video one, but its only upon take off in first gear, for a few seconds, then quits once im going.
Mine is a tiptronic !! but its true in first 2 gears, the sound appear and get less noiser in higher gears!! So have u get urs checked as well? Im sending my car for inspection next week... hope everythg goes fine !!!
Old 08-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Porsche

I just noticed a few days ago. I was digging around looking at some of the pulleys and belt, and exhaust and no luck. However I did notice today that the squeak stopped after two hours of driving? But when started this morning, started again ??
Old 08-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Porsche

Any word on the result from your inspection? Mine magically went away this week and it concerns me a little that something may be hidden. Or it might have been because it was 95 out all week when the squeak happened.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #9

Garage
I had similar sounds. Mine was the water pump. replaced it and everything is fine.
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #10

I've got a similar sound, I was going to inspect it this weekend, but I'm assuming it's going to be either one of the serpentine belt pulleys, or my installation of a Deutsche Parts USA water pump last year (before I knew any better) finally catching up with me :-/

EDIT: If it makes OP feel better I had this same sound both before and after changing out my IMS bearing.
HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #11

Hi guyz,

I was told by my garage, it wasn't any belt, pulley or bearing problems... Those sound came out from engine ><

The technicians advised me that it mite be some loosen parts inside the Fuel Pressure Regulator due to the aging of the car .... Hence some oil mite not be able to reach that area efficiently and lubricate it enough and caused those squeeky sound.

I suggested to him those water pump problems, loose spark plugs but he confidently pointed out that spark plugs r rarely gona be loosen and its not water pump problem either.

Lastly, he adviced me to get rid of the car after i had enough fun of it... coz the only solution is to dig the engine out and fix those parts inside the engine but he wont recommend... Or change some comparatively more viscous oil instead and hope those noise will disappear !!! His words made me feel bad to be honest !:ah:

I will try to TEST the water pump myself tmr by reading the guide given by one of the members previously !!!!

Pls keep this post going, everyone who has the same problems keep sharing !!! I wish everyone could benefit from it !! thanx! i will keep update u guyz !!

PAT
Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #12

Smile Squeaky sound on startup

if you are having a squeak right after start up but its intermittent sometimes i was told it is the starter bearing i had that issue, for the squeak while driving if you have a squeak that sounds like its right behind you i have had that as well that one was the water pump it was squeaking only in the higher range of the rpm one way to find out if it is the water pump is i took off the serpentine belt and tried turning the water pump by hand i found that the bearing for the pulley shaft was completely destroyed and it actually was off canter with the rest of the pump also when you try to turn it you will feel it bind as the pulley contacts with the pump from the bearing failure be advised if changing the water pump to either entirely flush the system or use the porsche approved fluid which is pricey im not sure if your still having this issue but if so i hope this helps you make a decision on which direction to go
chris0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Check your spark plugs. This is the source of many squeeks.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerESQ View Post
I've got a similar sound, I was going to inspect it this weekend, but I'm assuming it's going to be either one of the serpentine belt pulleys, or my installation of a Deutsche Parts USA water pump last year (before I knew any better) finally catching up with me :-/

EDIT: If it makes OP feel better I had this same sound both before and after changing out my IMS bearing.
Hi mate,

Hows ur car in the end? Found out the problem?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #15

Had a simular sound when my waterpump died, whip off the belt and run it for a few moments, all the pulleys will be silent , will rule it out
Mikelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #16

Hi guyz!!

Many thanx for all the help from u all!!!

I got all my 6 spark plugs changed and everythg went well, no more churping sound !!!! BRAVO !!!!

Thanx for all advices being shared in this forum!!

pat
Old 11-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by megapat View Post
Hi guyz!!

Many thanx for all the help from u all!!!

I got all my 6 spark plugs changed and everythg went well, no more churping sound !!!! BRAVO !!!!

Thanx for all advices being shared in this forum!!

pat
So it was the spark plugs after all?
Old 11-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
Usercpy

Garage
The last sound "part 3" I'm sure its just some small rock dents which is stuck between brake pad and rotor... it makes that sound..
Old 11-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by More View Post
So it was the spark plugs after all?
the churping or i call squeeky sound is solved by changing the spark plugs !!! im driving with no worries nw
Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeching View Post
The last sound "part 3" I'm sure its just some small rock dents which is stuck between brake pad and rotor... it makes that sound..
That sound didnt reappear since last time i took the video !!! hope its running fine now