Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #1

Asymmetric air intakes?

I noticed my side air intakes are slightly different. In the drivers side it appears to stick out a bit from the car and have a bit of a lip whereas on the passenger side it sits deep to the outside of the car. They appear to be slightly different. I'm assuming one has been replaced. Are there different intakes throughout the 97-04 years? Mine is a 2001.

joejitsumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsumd View Post
I noticed my side air intakes are slightly different. In the drivers side it appears to stick out a bit from the car and have a bit of a lip whereas on the passenger side it sits deep to the outside of the car. They appear to be slightly different. I'm assuming one has been replaced. Are there different intakes throughout the 97-04 years? Mine is a 2001.
I just noticed the same on mine. I believe that how they come.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #3

They changed in 2003 to appear more flush, and they become body colored.

Either way, they are different from left to right. The left is there to be an intake air scoop for the engine, the right is only there for engine bay cooling air.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

Ah I see. Ok makes sense. I just figured maybe one of mine had been switched out by the previous owner. Seems a little odd they wouldn't make them identical for symmetry.
joejitsumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #5

The intake side scoop lip was put in place to prevent water ingress as i recall. The right side does not provide air intake for combustion so it is not required.

I once had paper numbers taped on the side of my car...after a solid day of track rain they broke up....of course the drivers side number was right in front of the air intake. The aft internal scoop surface was dotted with paper mache'. Nothing on the louvers

Of course i pulled the filter...it was clean. The lip seemed to have done its job...after this little flow test.

I rather like the asymetric quirkyness.

Last edited by jaykay; 11-27-2013 at 11:34 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote