986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "German" parts supplier (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49507)

clickman 11-18-2013 07:50 PM

"German" parts supplier

I'm going to replace my coolant tank. The price difference on the Pelican Parts site between Genuine Porsche and "German" is substantial, at about $150.

The PP site says German is an OEM supplier to Porsche. But PP rates German at only 3/5 for quality while the Genuine Porsche gets 5/5.

Anyone tried "German" parts? Results?

Eric G 11-18-2013 08:18 PM

...I wish I could tell you the difference but the fact is when we replace these tanks we usually will only buy one. I went with Pelican and the tank was solid and have had ZERO issues. You need to make an educated choice, price over chance. Given how much work it took to put the evil devil tank in the car, I chose to go with the tank that had a solid proven track record.

You could go the cheaper route and then we all will know that either we over paid or made the right decision. Keep us updated please...

clickman 11-18-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric G (Post 372915)
I went with Pelican

Just to clarify, you went with Genuine Porsche? Both are sold by Pelican...

Thanks

Eric G 11-18-2013 08:57 PM

Yes...genuine Porsche. This part is so difficult to mount that I did not want to risk it. After doing the repair I will reiterate the devil designed this installation method.

Steve Tinker 11-19-2013 12:34 AM

I agree fully with Eric - go with the genuine part from Porsche.......
My core temperature and scars on my forearms and knuckles don't want a repeat of the fitting thank you !!

Mark_T 11-19-2013 05:48 AM

Yeah, what Eric said. The engineer that designed that tank must have had a real hate on for end users. You actually have to try to design something that hard to replace. Make sure you never have to do the job a second time. Replace the level sensor while you have it out.

RaisedOnPorsches 11-19-2013 07:09 AM

Having done this repair myself too. I'd want to put the best quality part possible into my Porsche as a replacement.

For items like air/cabin filters I am fine with buying the "german" rather than "oem" versions, but for the extremely difficult to replace parts, do it right, do it once!

Also be glad that you don't have a 2.5l Boxster, because the replacement coolant tanks don't come with ports of the oil dipstick. You have to carve a whole through the plastic to adapt the part.

Mark_T 11-19-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches (Post 372962)
Also be glad that you don't have a 2.5l Boxster, because the replacement coolant tanks don't come with ports of the oil dipstick. You have to carve a whole through the plastic to adapt the part.

Yes, but the size and location is marked on the underside and it's a 10 second mod.

Deserion 11-19-2013 01:58 PM

You can also go through parts.com if you want to get genuine parts at lower costs. Sometimes (for multiple items) it comes out cheaper than the dealer.

RaisedOnPorsches 11-19-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 372973)
Yes, but the size and location is marked on the underside and it's a 10 second mod.

True, provided you have the right tools on hand. It takes longer if you want it to look remotely factory done.

woodsman 11-19-2013 06:49 PM

At least with the OEM part you have an idea of how long it will be before it leaks...:confused: