986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Topped up my leaking coolant (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49405)

Ckrikos 11-11-2013 12:17 PM

Topped up my leaking coolant

3 Attachment(s)
Being off of work today I headed to Porsche to get some coolant and while there got to drive a 996TT.

I filled up the coolant and said what the hell, let me pull the carpet and see if there is a leak. I have had the car to two mechanics and both have said that the coolant tank was fine. Turns out there was a small leak. The symptoms i have had are slow decline in coolant level. Minor coolant boil over after sitting for 30 min and then revved to redline a few times.

Got to drive a 996 turbo and loved the power. It could pull in every gear. I did not like the shifter. It felt like the b&m, but the salesman said it was the stock 996tt shifter. It was also louder than i thought.

I have attached some pics of the coolant tank what do you guys think.

While

Perfectlap 11-11-2013 01:00 PM

I can't make out your photos but do you have the most recent cap or are you still on the original? if you have an old cap, taking it off to top up the coolant might not allow you to maintain pressure as it may have lost its ability to seal. Did your mechanics point out that this cap should be replaced every couple of years?

Steve Tinker 11-11-2013 01:01 PM

Mine went about the same place - I had to get my hand up behind the coolant tank to feel the crusty resedue - but the carpet was dry.
Now prepare yourself for an interesting few hours fitting a new tank........

Ckrikos 11-11-2013 01:23 PM

The first two pictures are of the bottom of the tank and the third is right next to the oil filler tube. Im thinking of changing it myself because i cant deal with indy shops any more. I have been to two that have great reviews and they all tell me nothing is wrong. How long does this take as a dyi or Maybe ill try the dealer.

san rensho 11-11-2013 04:04 PM

Is your tank leaking or not. If there is coolant coming out of its, replace it, if not, then you have to look for a leak someplace else. Pressure test the cooling system, it should be pretty obvious where it is coming from.

Ckrikos 11-11-2013 04:10 PM

Per the Indus the pressure tests have come out ok. But when I put my finger in the pictured area I get pink fluid so will be replacing the tank.

Steve Tinker 11-12-2013 12:28 AM

You will probably find that the pressure test is negative - UNTILL the coolant temperature is up to normal operating temps and then the hairline crack in the resevoir opens up and leaks the fluid....