986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2003 Boxster S Can't Shift Into Any Gear (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49397)

JamesBorisPerez 11-10-2013 06:36 PM

2003 Boxster S Can't Shift Into Any Gear

I have owned my Boxster for about 5 years. I drive it occasionally, special social outing. Last time I drove it everything was perfectly fine. Got in the car a few days ago and it was hard to get in reverse and first. I thought maybe it just needed to be driven. Drove a few miles and by the time I got home I couldn't get it in any gear. When the engine is off, I can get it in any gear. Changed out the master and slave clutch cylinder, but problem still continues. If anyone can provide me guidance, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You

thstone 11-10-2013 08:05 PM

Most likely, the clutch isn't fully disengaging when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Re-bleed the lines. Check the shifting cables (something easy to do in between re-bleeding the lines). Re-bleed lines again. Still no joy? Next typical step is to remove the trans to inspect the clutch components.

ohhh my 11-10-2013 09:12 PM

I had the same problem. Pressure plate and flywheel will need to be replaced, while in there you will probably replace for the clutch too. Get ready for a $2000+ repair bill.

turbo23dog 11-11-2013 04:35 AM

How many miles are showing on the odo?

pothole 11-11-2013 05:21 AM

Sounds like the clutch release arm thingie could be bent.

This happened to me as my clutch wore and got very heavy. Eventually the arm bent and the clutch wasn't releasing properly. When everything was cold, you could just change gear with the clutch fully depressed to the floor.

But when things warmed up and everythingexpanded a bit, it got very hard to shift!

ganseg 11-11-2013 06:41 AM

What makes a worn clutch heavy? My clutch is heavy. A service writer guessed it is a problem with the "accumulator". I wishfully think a prior owner put in a heavier clutch, but I don't know that a mainstream HD clutch would really be heavier. My clutch engages nicely, so I don't think it is shot.

pothole 11-11-2013 07:00 AM

As the clutch wears, it gets heavier. That simple. Doesn't mean it's about to go.

Mine was heavy for 40k miles and I only changed the clutch because the arm bent. It wasn't slipping or juddering and had about 115k on it.

Xcellr8 11-14-2013 05:48 AM

Please update us on what you have discovered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesBorisPerez (Post 371590)
I have owned my Boxster for about 5 years. I drive it occasionally, special social outing. Last time I drove it everything was perfectly fine. Got in the car a few days ago and it was hard to get in reverse and first. I thought maybe it just needed to be driven. Drove a few miles and by the time I got home I couldn't get it in any gear. When the engine is off, I can get it in any gear. Changed out the master and slave clutch cylinder, but problem still continues. If anyone can provide me guidance, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You

I would be interested in an update on your shifting issue. Has it been resolved, and if so, what fixed your problem? Thanks, Joe

black_box 11-14-2013 06:32 AM

check the shifter cable, you can reach it with you arm under the muffler. THe housing can slip and bind, which will cause this issue