Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #1

new to boxsters

Wondering before I jump into a used boxster, what am I'm getting into. Trying to understand how much general maintenance will be as a DIY, and should I consider the 98, and 99 models. Also should I buy any that are in the 100k mile range. Seeing these cars getting cheaper and cheaper since winter is coming. This car will be my new DD and second car.

mustang2porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #2

Garage
Search the Forum; there are numerous threads which will be of help. Here's one to get you started:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/14685-thinking-buying-boxster-must-read.html

Also, Mike Focke's pages are very good:

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/buyingorsellinga1997-2004boxster

Good luck.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #3

I read that whole thread a while back. Seems like roulette with this car, though ims I'm not worried about since that is the first thing I'll replace. Just wondering if annual maintenance Is as high as what some make it sound, tires aren't expensive nor brakes to me as those should last atlesst 2+ years. Just trying to plan ahead for next montg when I opt to buy.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2porsche View Post
I read that whole thread a while back. Seems like roulette with this car, though ims I'm not worried about since that is the first thing I'll replace. Just wondering if annual maintenance Is as high as what some make it sound, tires aren't expensive nor brakes to me as those should last atlesst 2+ years. Just trying to plan ahead for next montg when I opt to buy.
Ain't all that. Buy it. Keep it up. Drive it hard. Enjoy it!!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Ain't all that. Buy it. Keep it up. Drive it hard. Enjoy it!!!
Minus burn outs and red light racing, those could be done. But I would hace to change out the head and tail lights. Amber looks like yuck... imo. And exhaust bypass
Old 11-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2porsche View Post
Minus burn outs and red light racing, those could be done. But I would hace to change out the head and tail lights. Amber looks like yuck... imo. And exhaust bypass
You will learn that a Boxster is not a red light racer or a burn out car. It's for agility and handling and pickup at higher speeds. It's a smart car. Not like a stang most of which will eat you for lunch off the line.

Way more sex appeal than HP.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #7

Shoot I meant the opposite what I meant. I'll give up burn outs and red light racing.since I'm going from auto to standard I don't need a clutch bill too soon.