Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #1

Question no taillights

with headlights on I have no taillights.i do however have reverse and directional and brake lights.so this means no night driving who's been threw this? bulbs and fuses look good.

dave dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #2

Replace bulbs anyways.
They're 8 bucks.

EDIT: a good way to see if they're bad is to take brake lights and switch with tail lights. I believe they're the same bulb.
16 Mercedes C450 AMG
22 Tesla Model X Plaid
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The brake pedal switch is probably bad. There is a physical switch on the brake pedal (that triggers the brake lights). They get a lot of wear, luckily it is a very simple DIY and only costs about $20. I replaced my clutch switch (basically the same switch, location, etc) to solve my cruise control not triggering, takes about 5 minutes.

Link: Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Brake Pedal Switch Replacement / Clutch Pedal Switch Replacement - 986 / 987
Old 11-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #4

Garage
I don't know if this applies: I had a problem with my left taillight bulb going out. The bulb was good. The taillight carrier is a plastic cover with a metal "circuit board" pressed into it with metal tabs on the circuit. Over time, the tabs around the taillight bulb --not any of the others -- lost their grip. The tension of the bulb socket spring and vibration would cause the circuit board to pull away from the plastic cover, until the bulb lost contact. I tried resetting it a couple of times to no avail. I finally pulled off the metal circuit and put a dab of epoxy in all of the holes. That fixed it.

Bill
1974 Fiat 124 Spider
1976 Datsun 260Z
billj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #5

There's probably a relay that's just for the tails or they may be linked with the front parking or positioning lights. If not that then it could be the light switch which is a common problem on these cars. A look at the schematics is the only way to find the potential causes other than 'diagnosis by parts replacement'. I just fixed a similar problem -a daytime running light relay $60. Maybe there's an online source for Boxster schemantics.