986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Race 808 Wheels from Wheel Dynamics or Forgestar or Victor? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49218)

Parker986 10-29-2013 03:34 AM

Race 808 Wheels from Wheel Dynamics or Forgestar or Victor?

During my PPI I was told that I needed to replace my front tires asap. Upon looking at the DOT I see that the front tires were manufactured in 2002 and the rear tires in 2003, likely OEMs. So, I can either replace the tires with new 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 or take this time to purchase some aftermarket wheels with 18" Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

I really like the look of the Race Inc. 808 wheels sold by Wheel Dynamics. A couple fellow forum members have them on their car, and I really like the way they look.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01/DSC_06621363573767.jpg (I realize drbodzin's are 19" wheels, but I think 18" will provide better ride comfort and still a look good.)

But, there is some negative feedback on other forums about Wheel Dynamics, so I am a little concerned. Not that it is a big deal, but their web site has quite a few typos, and tons & tons of disclaimers, which is a big deal. Also, they want $170 more for the same Michelin tires as TireRack, with shipping the same cost.

So, I started looking at the Forgestar and Victor wheels. Has anyone here had a bad experience with Wheel Dynamics, or a good story about Forgestar or Victor wheels?

2003S 10-29-2013 04:34 AM

I've had Victors on my car for 2 summers now, and no complaints whatsoever. I drive fairly regularly in Chicago, so potholes are a common occurrence -- all are still unbent & true.

But if it's just the tire price you don't like, have them ship the wheels & have tire rack do the same -- I believe tire rack will even ship to a local tire shop who can mount them for you...

Just a though...

Parker986 10-29-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003S (Post 369834)
I've had Victors on my car for 2 summers now, and no complaints whatsoever. I drive fairly regularly in Chicago, so potholes are a common occurrence -- all are still unbent & true.

Just a though...

Did you buys them from Wheel Dynamics?

2003S 10-29-2013 07:52 AM

no, bought them from Mr. Wheel Deal
(Fuel, BMF, XD Wheels, & more - Save Big! - MrWheelDeal.com)
No frills, but they delivered on time, and at a low price...

BruceH 10-29-2013 08:12 AM

I came within inches of buying the 808's. I was looking for over a year for BBS Sport Classic II's and finally found a set right before purchasing the 808's. I had a quote for both Michelin's and Hankooks. The Michelin quote was less than Tire Rack and the Hankooks were for more. You might give Eli a call. I did end up buying some spacers from them for the rear BBS's and am very pleased with those.

Perfectlap 10-29-2013 08:31 AM

If you drive this car daily in Ohio I would not go for the A/S. Those tires are are too big a compromise over ice, only marginally better than a summer tire. And the tread pattern can't work in both summer and winter simultaneously. I have dedicated winter tires on replica wheels and even then I've been in some very dicey situations where I left the house in nothing more than cold with a light sprinkling possible and ended up in just enough snow that would have made A/S's useless since my winter tires were just barely getting the car up hills
And in summer A/S's do not hold a candle to a summer tire. Personally, and just my opinion, I don't understand the logic of compromising any Porsche for convenience, certainly not a nimble convertible. And definitely not at the cost of safety.

As for the wheels, make sure you can order just one wheel if you need to replace one due to cracking before you buy all four. And ask how much to replace just one wheel. If this wheel is anywhere near 30 pounds and are running a heavy A/S tire, you are very likely to crack one of the rears if the roads are harsh enough. Then you are out a tire and wheel, $450 problem just like that. One that doesn't need to become a $700 problem if they will only allow you to buy replacement wheels in sets. Also ask about the weight, if you want to keep the rattles down and keep your gear from running out sooner, avoid 30 pound and heavier wheels.

Parker986 10-29-2013 09:13 AM

Perfectlap - Wow, great information. No, this will not be my daily driver. The only reason I was considering the A/S tires was because the Super Sports do not come in sizes needed for my 17" rims. Or, the other way around, the primary reason for considering purchasing new 18" rim was to be able to put Super Sports on them.

Parker986 10-29-2013 10:41 AM

Has anyone purchased their wheels from Amazon? Looks like there are fulfilled by Euro Wheels USA.

18" Wheels for Porsche 993 996 Carrera 964 928 944 986 987 981 Cayman Boxster set of 4 rims & caps : Amazon.com : Automotive

Perfectlap 10-29-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker986 (Post 369866)
Perfectlap - Wow, great information. No, this will not be my daily driver. The only reason I was considering the A/S tires was because the Super Sports do not come in sizes needed for my 17" rims. Or, the other way around, the primary reason for considering purchasing new 18" rim was to be able to put Super Sports on them.

My car is not a daily driver. In fact I ride a fixed gear bike most days. My driving is entirely weekend but year-round. Even then I switch over to winter tires by thanksgiving. After one close call on the highway over some ice one side and an 18 wheeler on the other I decided not to take any chances. Actually on snowy days I don't even bother to go out if I can avoid it simply because I see so many people missing turns because they're on these all-season tires which are not at all suitable for driving over ice, or snow that's anything more than sprinkling. The best way to avoid an accident is to have a car that can make the corner every time. Ice is the big enemy not so much snow, the former you get all the time during winter.

If I were you I would get some Blizzak's for your 17's. And in the spring opt for the 18" Forgestar F14's with the new RE-11s or similar sticky rubber.
Winter tires last forever and ever and you're pricey rubber will last a whole lot longer since you'll only be using it during sring/summer/early fall.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...p;d=1242318315

Parker986 10-31-2013 02:14 PM

Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires have been delivered to the installer, and Race, Inc. 808 wheels are on their way. Eli at Wheel Dynamics was very helpful.

BruceH 10-31-2013 03:18 PM

Excellent! Can't wait to see the results!:cheers:

Parker986 11-07-2013 06:09 PM

Well, it seems like human nature that we write about things that go wrong, and when things go right, we are happy, but do nothing.

So, in an attempt to do the opposite, I would like to give a shot at explaining about all that went right.

First off, when I bought my 986 in late Sep, I knew that I needed to replace the OEM tires on my '03. I love the look of larger wheels, so I began looking for 18" wheels, just one inch larger than my stock wheels.

A fellow forum member van914, and resident of my city, has Race, Inc. 808 wheels. He was great about sharing info on where he purchased them and had them mounted.

So, I started on my quest to find out about these wheels. I found some not so good reviews about Wheel Dynamics on another forum. So, I was hesitant. However, others recommended I contact Eli at Wheel Dynamics. I did, and I can't begin to say enough about my experience with Wheel Dynamics. Eli always answered my calls. My wheels arrived in perfect condition, and with wheel caps. They are beautiful.

My Michelin Pilot Super Sports were ordered from Tire Rack and delivered to Performance Alignment in Cincinnati. Bill, owner, was also terrific. His shop closes at 6:30pm, but he stayed until after 7pm mounting my wheels & tires, then completing an alignment.

The car drives great, the wheels look great. Pics to follow soon. Thanks you to all forum members that graciously assisted me on my quest.

Van914 11-07-2013 11:55 PM

Congrats! You will like them? Bills a great guy and a excellent suspension, set up source.

Van

BruceH 11-08-2013 07:36 AM

Great! Looking forward to the pics! I have to agree about Eli, always answered my calls and emails promptly. The 20mm spacers I purchased from him are excellent, no complaints.

Parker986 11-18-2013 01:43 PM

Here's my new shoes; 18" 808 wheels on Michelin Super Sports.

Been waiting for a day that it is not raining in OH. But way too cold to drop the top, even for a photo. :)

Car goes in for new IMS Bearing, probably clutch and water pump this Friday.

After that, then I want to replace the audio system.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1384814481.jpg

golonaus 11-18-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker986 (Post 372827)
Here's my new shoes; 18" 808 wheels on Michelin Super Sports.

Been waiting for a day that it is not raining in OH. But way too cold to drop the top, even for a photo. :)

Car goes in for new IMS Bearing, probably clutch and water pump this Friday.

After that, then I want to replace the audio system.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1384814481.jpg

nice wheels
but slam this thing down

BruceH 11-18-2013 02:01 PM

The wheels look great!

Van914 11-18-2013 07:01 PM

Parker
I used H&R springs to lower mine
Van914
http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1384833622.jpg

Parker986 11-19-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golonaus (Post 372828)
nice wheels
but slam this thing down

What, you don't like the 4x4 look? :D

I need a replacement IMS and stereo before I do any lowering.