Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #1

Garage
Sad Day Tomorrow...

My Porsche Boxster peeps...I'm parting ways with my 2004 S tomorrow. Instead of going through the selling process with individuals, I went to Car Max. They were fair with their offer and it's good for 7 days. Talked it over with the wife, and being a Government worker I can't have these politicians playing with my paycheck...just to financially unstable.

So when times get tough, you make tough decisions.

So with that said I'm letting you guys know that Car Max didn't want any of the extras I've collected for the car, not even the indoor cover. This weekend I'll get into the shop and gather up all the parts, tools, covers, and anything else I can find and post it here.

Hope I can make someones day with the treasure trove I've collected. Being an aircraft mechanic, you can never have enough back up parts.

As a teaser you can expect to see; 2 outdoor covers and one indoor, Durametric (w/ 2 VINs left), IMS removal tools, wheel bearing puller, front rotors for an S, wind deflector w/storage bag, ignition switch, convertible top rods (w/plastic ends), oil filters...just to name a few.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #2

Garage
Dooont doooo it !!! Don't let these morons in Washington change the way you live your life!
Last930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #3

Just curious, what offer did CarMax give you? How many miles?

I would be interested in an outdoor cover.
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #4

please reconsider. You will go through tough wthdrawal!

Although I can sympathize. I thought this year would be a tough one. At one pont last year I was in a position to take advantage of a very good deal on some real estate that would have signifinicantly increased my expenses. After runing the numbers over and over again I decided to not only pass on the offer but to significantly down-size. As luck would have it, this has turned out to be one of my better years. I saved a bundle and when the next market correction comes in I'll have some more ammunition. Me personally, I will make cuts elsewhere before I think about parting with my Boxster S. But if I did, I know there will be even better deals in the year to come. All the recent earnings point to a slow down, which means prices for used, high-end goodies are going to fall.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #5

Garage
I bet none of this government shut-down prevented members in congress from conducting insider trading. Sorry to hear about the loss of your boxster in the aftermath.:troll:
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
I bet none of this government shut-down prevented members in congress from conducting insider trading. Sorry to hear about the loss of your boxster in the aftermath.:troll:
Probably not and they are immune to it legally is my understanding.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

Sorry to hear about your decision to give up the Boxster. I work for a aeronatical company and the guys that work on miltary aircraft in our company have been slammed by the sequester.

I'd be interested in the durametric, wind deflector and one of the outdoor covers depending on the condition and cost to ship.
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
Probably not and they are immune to it legally is my understanding.
Obama signed the Stock Act last year forbiding Congress from insider trading. Believe it or not it was also still legal to trade (Congress and otherwsie) on insider information in commodities, think "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd, until Dodd Frank passed.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Congress repealed the Stock Act and they are now free from encumbrance of the law and are even immune from prosecution... Meanwhile in America...

I am sorry you are having to part with your Box. I wish you all the best and hope happiness finds you and your family.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Damn Yankee

Garage
I'd be interested in the indoor cover..............

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
Congress repealed the Stock Act and they are now free from encumbrance of the law and are even immune from prosecution...
Really? I thought they just repealed the part requiring members of Congress to make online disclosures about certain financial transactions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
I am sorry you are having to part with your Box. I wish you all the best and hope happiness finds you and your family.
On this, I concur. I've always had this vision of Jax's guards red Boxster standing bravely alone amid a sea of mud-spattered pickups in OKC! I let go of this vision with utmost reluctance

Last edited by Frodo; 10-17-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #12

Sorry to hear that you are letting the politicians and their idiotic actions (both sides of the aisle) determine your automotive future, that is truly a shame.

When my father passed away I drove his nearly new 10K mile car to CarMax for a quote, I was pleasantly surprised at their professionalism and offer. I used the offer to determine a "Friendly Price" to offer it to a family friend, we could of got 15 to 20% more for it on the open market but the convenience factor would of been appealing if we didn't have someone close to us in need.

Good Luck and hope to see you back in a P-Car soon.......
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Really? I thought they just repealed the part requiring members of Congress to make online disclosures about certain financial transactions?
correct. Putting that sort of personal financial information online was a poorly thought out move to begin with. But the rest of the restrictions on trading on inside information are still in place. It's amazing that it took this long to pass such a no-brainer. But such is the state of partisanship in America, the only thing the Congress comes together on is to make it easier for them to stuff their pockets. That is until Steve Kroft and 60 Minutes get in Nancy Pelosi and John Boehner's face. Then all of the sudden it goes from "no comment" to "I support".
Old 10-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
Carnut

Sorry to hear! Traded mine for an Audi recently, kind of job related, too!

OT, may be we all should shut down as well?????
Old 10-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
So when times get tough, you make tough decisions.
Sorry you are in this situation. But, good on you for having the stones to make the right move for you. Most people don't have the intestinal fortitude to make tough choices, and would just dig themselves into a deeper hole.

"NEVER BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE GLAD IT HAPPENED"

Last edited by Flavor 987S; 10-18-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #16

Garage
Thanks for the condolences and encouragement guys. This, by no means, will be my last Porsche. I'm hooked for life on the handling, speed and braking.

To answer fusionist, I'm getting $18K. My car had 38K on the clock and had all the options except Nav and it wasn't the anniversary edition. I'm glad I posted yesterday because it jarred a few things loose in my head that was installed on the car that I pulled off (aspherical mirrors and the SmarTop module).

Like I said about the parts and tools, I'll post them this weekend (after my 6 yr old son's baseball tournament). To be fair to all involved I'm going to go with a "first come, first served". I have your posts and your PM's, when I figure out a fair price I'll contact you for first refusal, if the part doesn't get picked up I'll post here.

Thanks again guys for your camaraderie and friendship over the years, you've made owning a Porsche that much more enjoyable.

I'll still be playing with German cars, just not as expensive.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #17

You have mail....could really use that Durametric...
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #18

That is one nice lookin' canoe...don't think I've ever seen one sitting on top of a VW Bug before!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #19

I'd like to join your contact list. I'd be interested in the durametric, wind deflector and any one of the covers (condition doesn't matter). If you post a separate thread on parts, please put mention that here so i switch over to watching that. Thanks!
ganseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #20

Sending PM about the wheel bearing tools.

psquared39 is offline   Reply With Quote