986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How many bars in a quart of oil? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48952)

RBrummer 10-16-2013 11:44 AM

How many bars in a quart of oil?

I know a lot of you don't have problems with oil consumption, but I do :mad: and would like to know how many bars on my dashboard display equal one quart of oil. Don't want to overfill. And yes, I do watch my dipstick :)

Thanks

RB

recycledsixtie 10-16-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBrummer (Post 367892)
I know a lot of you don't have problems with oil consumption, but I do :mad: and would like to know how many bars on my dashboard display equal one quart of oil. Don't want to overfill. And yes, I do watch my dipstick :)

Thanks

RB

I do not know bars = quarts. What I do know is that when refilling after an oil change it takes very little to overfill it. Once at the bottom bar it takes very little oil to go to the optimum fill bar. ;) I pour in about a quarter of a quart once it is at the bottom bar and leave for half an hour and then recheck it etc etc etc....

thstone 10-16-2013 12:05 PM

The entire range (low to high) on the display is approximately 1.3 quarts (1.25 liters).

You can divide 1.3 quarts by the number of bars on the display between high and low to determine how much each bar represents (I don't remember the exact number of bars on the display).

steved0x 10-16-2013 01:57 PM

I will add to this (because I recently overfilled and had to drain some by dropping the oil filter housing), I have found that the bars and the dipstick can read differently depending on whether the car has been recently driven. My understanding is that it takes a while for the oil to drain down into the bottom and be measured. Supposedly (I thought I read somewhere) that the digital bars would account for this, but (and maybe it is just me) they seem to read a little lower after a drive, and then next morning cold it reads a little higher.

I have heard the overfilling is a sure way to kill an AOS.

Steve

RBrummer 10-16-2013 03:14 PM

Thanks guys!

I appreciate the info

Great forum!

RB

particlewave 10-16-2013 06:12 PM

1/2 quart moved my display 4 bars (out of 8 total). ;)

1999 2.5

Burg Boxster 10-17-2013 04:39 AM

...and according to the manual (I presume b/c of the ease in which one can overfill)...

[sic] there's no need to add oil until the display's bottom bar flashes indicating it's low. And then only add oil in 1/2 quart increments. Stop once gauge indicates between top and bottom bars.

Good luck :)

FLAT64EVER 10-17-2013 06:34 PM

I have owned and wrenched many cars in my life time including Porsche.

I must admit the Flat6 is a very difficult car to measure correctly. I use the dipstick as the "true" oil level ... level ground - operating temperature - let the car sit for 5 plus minutes .

The digital display and the dip stick is 1.5 liters between min and max marks.

RBrummer 10-18-2013 09:33 AM

Great stuff, thanks again