Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
She's gone to Kentucky to be with the Thoroughbreds

Yesterday was a sad but happy day. I watched my pristine 2000 'S' Guards Red baby drive away in the hands of a new owner. She looked awesome and sounded great as the Fabspeed burped and gurgled.

I know she will be taken good care of. The new owner is installing a clearbra immediately. He loves the car and I encouraged him to become a member of this forum.

My 981 will now have the company of my Tundra beside it in the garage so he won't be too lonely.

Bye beautiful one!

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #2

Beautiful. I remember having similar feelings watching Sgt Brad drive mine off, having another P-Car to fall back on certainly eases the blow. It will be interesting to hear your opinion of the 981 after a few weeks with it...
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I actually brought the 981 home in March. I'm putting a lot more mileage on it then I did with the 986 mainly because PDK is easier on my left hip (no clutch). I really actually felt like I drove my 986 a lot over the last 3 year but in the end it was only 8 or 9k miles...well there was a 987 along the way that got my attention of another 3k miles .

The 981 is nice, but not for everyone, especially the diehard 986 fans. The 981 Base I have has less torque then the 986 'S', the Gs in the 981 feel more linear but watch out 80mph comes really fast. I think in general PDK causes this lack of 'push' back in the seat.

I'm actually a big fan of the electric steering. It is much more 'secure' feeling and yet I still can tell exactly when the front tires start to push or when the rear is going out. Like any car, 6 months behind the wheel and one gets a pretty good idea of it's behavior. Limits are figured out and lived within.

For anyone that does like driving the new 991s (and I do all the time) you will never be disappointed jumping into a 981. In many ways for sporty driving the 981 is much more fun.

Porsche did a great job with the 981. The Base is lacking some torque but then the gas mileage is awesome.

The worst part of the 981...is the forums aren't as fun, folks are really great but not like this crowd. Some of the moderators think they know exactly how the world should behave while all the time criticizing members when they feel it is OK.

I'm thinking there will be some old, high mileage, cheap Boxster out there that might someday end up being a track car for me. I'm sure I'll get tired of not wrenching. The last 3 year working on my 986 were some of the most fun.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote