Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #1

Porsche for Non-Enthusiasts

I've been wondering this for a while. I think Porsche coupes or roadster (911, Boxster, Cayman) are quite stiff and unforgiving in terms of ride quality formost people. But for me, the fun is worth the stiff and relatively uncomfortable ride, so I drive it. I've never driven a Panamera or a Cayenne, so don't know about the ride quality of those.

Then I assume that almost all people that drive 911 and Boxster/Cayman buy the car because they enjoy the ride and driving experience like I do. Otherwise, why would you buy it? For the same amount of money, there're other cars that are still attractive, luxurious, and more importantly, more comfortable than Porsche. Unless they really like the look of those sport coupes/roadsters, or like the brand and are willing to trade the comfort for it?

hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

So I found this article after I posted. What do you think?

Enthusiast Cars Driven By Non-Enthusiasts
Old 07-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

I used my 3 Porsches as only cars or daily drivers. I loved the feel of the cars. Could have bought almost any car. Only bought one of the three new.

Commuted. Traveled. Went skiing. Took the trask to the dump. Went for pizza, etc. My wife knew she could order from the good place 15 miles away rather than the local joint. Never raced, dragged, tried to beat somebody off the stop light. Just enjoyed the handling and I never found them harsh, stiff or unforgiving (though I never approached the limits and never drove a 911).
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
Rookie

Garage
As ride quality goes I would say my Box is above average (and thats even rolling with 19" rims) and a considerably better ride than the wife's 2012 WRX. Now Ill admit, I dont have gobs of experience with high performance but I would guess Porsche has one of the best ride quality to performance ratios around. And I suspect thats oweing to German engineering at its finest....but perhaps Im just bias.
TypeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

Garage
To many people it's all about their image, how they look in the car.

Tires have a huge affect on how a car rides & is adjustable to a extent.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
So I found this article after I posted. What do you think?

Enthusiast Cars Driven By Non-Enthusiasts
I live close to Fletcher Jones MBZ #1 selling dealer for many years. That is the predominant car brand of Newport Beach & the surrounding area. People without budget constraints want the best, top of the line. I consider Newport Beach's official license plate to be Fletcher Jones license applied for temp plate.

So I agree with most of what the writer said.

Reminds me of the time I delivered a new Jaguar XKR convertible to Naiomi Cambell, all she wanted to hear about it was how to lower the top & put CD's in the changer.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I used my 3 Porsches as only cars or daily drivers. I loved the feel of the cars. Could have bought almost any car. Only bought one of the three new.

Commuted. Traveled. Went skiing. Took the trask to the dump. Went for pizza, etc. My wife knew she could order from the good place 15 miles away rather than the local joint. Never raced, dragged, tried to beat somebody off the stop light. Just enjoyed the handling and I never found them harsh, stiff or unforgiving (though I never approached the limits and never drove a 911).
Same experience here. In fact I get comments all the time from passengers about how smooth the ride is for a sports car.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #8

Maybe it's time to re evaluate the condition of my suspension bushings and such. To be honest, I've never been in other sports cars, so my experience with the Boxster might be inaccurate as to how stiff is too stiff for a sports car.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Tires have a huge affect on how a car rides & is adjustable to a extent.
Absolutely. My Box has 17's on it and it rides beauty. Typical German car - firm and tight, but still very comfortable. I've been in a few with 19's and you can feel the difference. Much harsher with the 19's.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock1701 View Post
...To be honest, I've never been in other sports cars, so my experience with the Boxster might be inaccurate as to how stiff is too stiff for a sports car.
Since you're in SoCal, I'll offer a ride along in my Spec Boxster: PSS9's on full stiff with 450F/500R lb springs. Handles incredibly well but its hard on the dental work around town.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Since you're in SoCal, I'll offer a ride along in my Spec Boxster: PSS9's on full stiff with 450F/500R lb springs. Handles incredibly well but its hard on the dental work around town.
I'd love to experience that too! I had a friend in my car for the first time, and he also mentioned that it's not as uncomfortable as he thought it would be. Now that's with 140k mile old suspension. I do drive the Boxster and a Honda Accord daily, so I guess my judgement is skewed by the Accord.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #12

I have back problems and my wife has back problems.We always take the Boxster on trips just for the comfort and mine has 19's.the only setback is getting in and out with the top up.if you are correct in saying the 17's are a better ride than the 19's then I need to drive one of them.I love the comfortable ride with the 19's.