986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WYIT... epic preventative maintenance... write up w/pics (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48504)

rp17 09-22-2013 09:04 AM

[QUOTE=evan9eleven;364371]Yeah, I've read that thread. Nothing very kind was said there.

Insaro has been installing their bearing for about three years now I guess, only in Spain as far as I know. I emailed their engineer owner, Roberto, to ask some questions before I made a decision. Installs number in the hundreds but not thousands, presumably due to cost and a smaller market. So far they have pulled out 6 of their own bearings to inspect wear, all with good results except for an oil leak on the outer seal due to a poor installation. The highest mileage on one of their bearings is 72,500 km (about 45K miles.)QUOTE]

I'm not suprised that they are having good results witht that bearing. One of the complaints I recall that with that bearing design wouldn't sit clean to fit the flywheel or clutch. Sure doesn't look like a problem. It also has a secondary bearing as a back up plan. Brilliant!!

The discussion on the Insaro bearing reminds me of the discussion on the DOF on Pelican. None of this would have been possible with out the bearing puller tools I must admit. But I know...off topic.

I wish you many happy miles. And Nice Interior!!:cheers:

rp17 09-22-2013 09:10 AM

Yes that was the only thing I recall about that bearing. It cost a few dollars more.;) And back then, the secondary bearing back up plan sounded like a marvelous solution. If it failed your engine wasnt toast!

evan9eleven 09-22-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haz (Post 364411)
evan9eleven: are you ever back in Norway? It´d be cool to hook up one time. And why are you part timed in Spain?

Hey Haz!

I live full time in Norway but have a vacation house in Spain. I needed a fun car down there. :D

I saw that you posted your mobile number the other day and I saved it in my phone. Maybe we can grab a beer sometime when I'm in Oslo. I'll send you a text too, let me know if you're ever headed west with your Boxster!

evan

haz 09-22-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evan9eleven (Post 364418)
Hey Haz!

I live full time in Norway but have a vacation house in Spain. I needed a fun car down there. :D

I saw that you posted your mobile number the other day and I saved it in my phone. Maybe we can grab a beer sometime when I'm in Oslo. I'll send you a text too, let me know if you're ever headed west with your Boxster!

evan

For sure :) Where in the west of Norway do you live?

evan9eleven 09-22-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rp17 (Post 364413)
Yes that was the only thing I recall about that bearing. It cost a few dollars more.;) And back then, the secondary bearing back up plan sounded like a marvelous solution. If it failed your engine wasnt toast!

Yes, it is more expensive. Other bearings are also available over here, but importing these costs too... and then there is sales tax which in Spain is 21%. In Norway its 25%. And gas is 10 bucks a gallon. Don't get me started. :mad:

Insaro has a single bearing that costs about €790 plus tax including a new RMS and no warranty. The double version is around €1275 plus tax with 3 year warranty and including a new RMS. IIRC the Spanish distributor of LN's bearing also gets about €800, so apples to apples the single bearings cost about the same purchased here. Its not realistic for us to compare anything to US prices, that can get a little depressing. :(

evan9eleven 09-22-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haz (Post 364421)
For sure :) Where in the west of Norway do you live?

I'll send you a text. :-)

evan9eleven 09-22-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rp17 (Post 364412)
I'm not suprised that they are having good results witht that bearing. One of the complaints I recall that with that bearing design wouldn't sit clean to fit the flywheel or clutch. Sure doesn't look like a problem. It also has a secondary bearing as a back up plan. Brilliant!!

The discussion on the Insaro bearing reminds me of the discussion on the DOF on Pelican. None of this would have been possible with out the bearing puller tools I must admit. But I know...off topic.

I wish you many happy miles. And Nice Interior!!:cheers:

Thanks! :)

The critisism about fitting the flywheel was because the install pics shown in that original thread were on a tiptronic car. Thus the IMSB cover didn't have a cutout for the flywheel sensor teeth as it would on a manual car. As you see from the pic of my install, the cutout is there, flywheel clears fine. That thread was ugly! Though IIRC it wasn't on our nice happy forum here. :)