Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #1

check engine light “ CEL “ as related to vacuum

I found this post on the infamous check engine light “ CEL “ as related to vacuum issues and air injection for EPA pollution controls. I too am having the CEL coming on and I’d like to resolve the issue myself. A knowledgeable Porsche repair mechanic in my area read the codes and said that it’s related to the air injection system. Based on what he wanted for a water pump and thermostat replacement ($900) – which I did myself for $180 in parts and anti-freeze, (Thank you Pelican Book.) I didn’t ask what he’d charge for chasing the CEL.
Please read the below – Can anybody knowledgeable in the Boxster with their engine in a state of repair or if you have that Boxster IPC (illustrated parts catalog)…Can you take pics of these components or point them out in the IPC ?
This would be a great reference for all those plagued with this problem.

“Here is the answer. My 97 boxster is pushing 100k miles and I fixed this problem years ago. Your problem is not a mass air sensor or any 02 sensors.

The cause is an air leak in the intake system in 1 of 3 places. With the exception of the main air intake which runs from the air filter to the throttle body, there are 3 separate vacuum sources on the engine that are located on the right hand side of the engine.
#1 connects the top of the oil separator (a plastic round object mounted vertically on the right rear of the motor)to the top of the throttle body with a hard plastic 'j' shaped hose. Make sure it is not leaking (sucking air). If this hose is broke in any way, it will cost $45 and any monkey can replace it. This will cause rough idle, engine light, ect.
#2 is unfortunately hard to get to. It is under the right side intake manifold. I remove the right side intake to get to this one. It is a small hard plastic vacuum hose that is likely broke and IS the cause if you are getting the secondary air injection failure.
#3 is a vacuum line that connects to the front, right side intake manifold near the center of the manifold, almost behind the alternator. This line becomes disconnected VERY easy and just simply needs to be put back in. The line is distinguishable because it has a white round boot at the end of it. It simply plugs back into the hole on the intake manifold.”

jetster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #2

Garage
I had 1128, 1130 CEL for an un-seated AOS to Throttle body hose connection. I could hear the vacuum and when I correctly re-seated (Vacuum hiss gone), cleared the codes, I have not had any issues. My car ran fine with the leak but would throw the codes several days after clearing until I fixed the connection
Old 09-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #3

I will look into it- pictures would be helpful

ArenaRed986 is offline   Reply With Quote